• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus a8n sli errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sierra54

Registered
Recently, I have begun to get different error beeps at various times. I will get 5 beeps at start up and then 10 beeps after several minutes. Everything seems to be running fine and temperatures look normal. I have tried resetting the cmos, replacing the battery, reseating the memory and video card but the beeps continue. I am at a loss on what to try next.

Could the bios be corrupted and should I try to update it? I am running bios 1014 currently. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Before this, it had been running fine for over three years. Also, I have replaced the chipset fan with the blue zalman heatsink and have disabled the chipset fan warning in the bios set up. Again, this was over three years ago.

No errors are noted in pc probe.

System components:
A8N-SLI ver1.02 bios ver 1014
AMD 3700
eVGA 6800GS
Antec 500W smartpower 2.0
2 liteon dvd drives
WD2500KS SATA HD
2 OCZ 1GB 3200 RAM

Not sure if I should redo the 1014 bios or go with the new 1604 beta.

When I do this should I do the automatic bios update in windows or with a floppy.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I never know about beta BIOS. Is 1014 the most recent update?

Also, you might want to look through the old sticky on the A8N ...
(it's no longer a sticky and I can't find it ... :()

The 1014 came out in Dec 2005.

The 1604 beta came out March 2007.

Nothing in between. I'll look for the a8n sticky.

Flashed the bios to 1014 using Asus update in windows. Worked fine for about a day now the 5 beep error returned after powering it up and windows has started.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Last edited:
Didn't work. Now I'm getting both random 5 and 10 beep errors. It seems to be operating fine though. I'm tempted just to unplug the case speaker.

Any other suggestions before I do this would be appreciated.

Should I try to reset the cmos again by removing the battery and moving the jumper? Would it make a difference if I did this before or after the bios flash?

Otherwise, I may have see if Microcenter tests power supplies.

Thanks for the beep code link.

It could make a difference. In your case I would hope you flashed after you got the new battery, otherwise you may have had some corruption from the run-down battery (if it was worn out). If you flashed before changing the battery you might try a reset ...

Had the PSU tested. I beleive that they said one rail wasn't putting out enough power so I bought a PC Power & Cooling 420W for $30 at Microcenter. Since installing the new PSU, 2 days ago, I have no error beeps. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the issue.

I recieved similar suggestions and assistance at the Asus Independent forum. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I enjoy being able to resolve these issues myself.

I hope you got it worked out this time.

Is there a Microcenter in town? I didn't know that. But I've been buying parts on the Net for years now. I can't remember the last time I was at Telectronics ...

Microcenter is in Overland Park about a mile north of Fiorrellas Jack Stack BBQ just behind the Macarroni Grill on Metcalf Ave. They tend to have sales quite often and can be competitive w/ newegg.com.

So far still no beeps.

Back