• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A8V Deluxe Usb Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
Well today I updated to the most recent bios for the Asus A8V Deluxe I have so I could run my socket 939 dual core in. After restarting, I get a "Usb over current status detected. System will shutdown in 15 seconds." It happens every time and makes it impossible to have time/date set, or to change any bios settings. I was able to get into windows to try and reload an older bios, but the utility only allows the bios to flash towards. I have a floppy drive, but whenever I try to create a bootable MS-DOS disk, I get errors saying the disk cannot be formatted. It's really making me mad :mad: and I've exhausted all of my ideas so I'm open to any of yours!

-Chance Coats

Did you try plugging in a USB device?

And, just to make sure, I assume you've tried a CMOS reset - pulled the battery and all that ...?

I've tried plugging a single one in. I haven't tried multiples though so maybe I'll try that.

which bios?
i use an a8v works just as it did when it was new...
mine is not the deluxe

It's the latest bios, 1018.002 which is actually a beta bios. :bang head What I don't get is why the Asus utility will let you flash forward, but if you want to go backwards, you have to use a MS Dos Disk. I don't even know what that is! Way before my time guys!

it requires a program called afudos located on asus website and yes its ran from a dos prompt...
are you sure you didnt plug something backwards maybe case usb?
to rule that out unplug that from your board..

I've seen this message before on a Asus board and it was due to a damaged USB port inspect yours carefully one could be grounding out.

it requires a program called afudos located on asus website and yes its ran from a dos prompt...
are you sure you didnt plug something backwards maybe case usb?
to rule that out unplug that from your board..

The board is currently caseless to rule out all board to case grounding issues. ;)

I've seen this message before on a Asus board and it was due to a damaged USB port inspect yours carefully one could be grounding out.

Debris in the ports can also ground it out ...

I'll blow them out with some compressed air and try back.

Just to give you guys a full rundown, I don't have any USB devices and it's in an old gutted HP case so there are no front headers either. That's why I'm so confused. I think it might be a short in the plugs because it says configured device even when nothing is plugged in. :screwy: Thanks for all the advice guys!

Edit: Get this. I blew the Usb ports out and booted with just the necessities (KB, AGP Vid, 1 stick of ram and a known good cpu) No error. Booted to windows over and over. So I started systematically adding my other parts until one odd thing occured... I have a bad 1gb stick of ram that is causing the Usb to "Over current." :screwy: As of now it's working. I'm going to put it back in the case and I'll keep you guys updated if it goes south.

Last edited:
You got that right. Tell me about it. I can repeat an even isolate the problem now. It has zero issues rebooting, cold booting, hot booting (rebooting, Lol) and the error doesn't occur unless this one stick is plugged in to any of the four slots. :screwy:

The overcurrent problem is not due to ram or the usb per se. It is a bios problem. The fix is to go into the bios and set the graphics aperture size to 256.

Believe it or not, this is the fix. This problem usually shows up when you try to put 4 gigs of ram into the computer. You have to remove all but one stick and then set the graphics window size to 256. Then you can put the rest of the ram in and it will be fine.

Last edited:
The problem was fixed and the computer runs fine to this day. :shrug: I can replicate the errors by putting said faulty stick of ram in so, for me, the video aperture size wasn't the issue.

In fact, I'm on the computer right now since my main rig is still apart from last night.

Thanks to JimmyG

The overcurrent problem is not due to ram or the usb per se. It is a bios problem. The fix is to go into the bios and set the graphics aperture size to 256.

Believe it or not, this is the fix. This problem usually shows up when you try to put 4 gigs of ram into the computer. You have to remove all but one stick and then set the graphics window size to 256. Then you can put the rest of the ram in and it will be fine.

I realize this thread is old, but I used it today. I've been having this issue for some time, it comes and goes. I thought I had it fixed when I removed a SCSI controller and went back to SATA drives, and that worked for quite some time. But I wanted to try this computer using the RAID with 2 WD 160GB Raptors. That took awhile to find a driver that would work with Windows 7 64bit. (FYI: Windows XP 64bit driver did the trick). Any, during this reinstall RAID setup, the USB overcurrent came back. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to JimmyG for the AGP Aperture setting. So far, that has done the trick. Although, I thought this was fixed when I removed my SCSI card. So, only time will truly tell. Oh, and you don't have to remove all but one stick of memory to get into the BIOS, removing just 1 stick will suffice.. :)

Thanks again JimmyG...

Back