• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crossfire V Formula: no post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balt11t

Registered
Hello,

I've built plenty of computer before, and so before my friend left for college he asked me to build him one. Now, I've built it, and it powers on, but I don't get a post, or beeps at all. I'm using 8 GB of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM, a 450W Corsair PSU, a FX-6100, a EVGA GT430 and a 1 TB HDD. I've done everything in my power, everything is connected correctly (there's nothing in the 4-pin slot, but that's optional if you have an 8 and 24, right?) and firmly, but no luck at all. Suggestions?

Take the board out of the case and set it up on a table top to eliminate the possibility of a ground out with the case.

Could a short be a possibility even if it powers on with fans spinning and the CPU light on?

Not sure if it's the same for the 6100, but when mine was new and socketing my 8150, the board wouldn't post. Needed a BIOS update to recognize the chip. If BIOS is your problem, you'll need some other AM3 chip socketed, flash BIOS, remove chip, socket the 6100. Or contact ASUS if you can't beg/borrow/already-have an AM3 chip.

I do have an AMD Athlon that has an AM3+ socket, but it's in my personal computer that I don't really want to tear apart to get. Once I remove the 6100, even just temporarily, do I need to reapply thermal paste, or should I be okay since I installed it last night?

What about my Athlon? Will it need new thermal paste? I've never had heat issues, so I've never thought to replace it or anything.

Any removal of the CPU cooler from atop the CPU itself is cause each time for cleaning the top of the CPU and installation of new heatsink compound. That is the general rule of thumb given me from the first day I began to asssemble computers.

I do have an AMD Athlon that has an AM3+ socket, but it's in my personal computer that I don't really want to tear apart to get. Once I remove the 6100, even just temporarily, do I need to reapply thermal paste, or should I be okay since I installed it last night?

What about my Athlon? Will it need new thermal paste? I've never had heat issues, so I've never thought to replace it or anything.

More important than what type of socket your other chip is in... What type of socket is the the chip itself designated for? If you aren't sure, say exactly what chip your other Athlon is by model number. Is it Athlon or Athlon XP or Athlon II or Athlon II X2? Is it a 3200, a 9650, or a 255?

You may have your other chip on an AM3+ board, but the chip itself might be an AM2 CPU... We need specifics, please.

You always need fresh thermal paste whenever you separate a heatsink from a CPU. And all surfaces must be cleaned before appyling fresh paste.

It's AMD Athlon II X2 245. I have the package in front of me, it reads "Socket AM3."

The following chips are compatible with the Crosshair V (per ASUS):

Athlon IIX2 245(ADX245OCK23GM),2.9GHz,1MB,rev.C2,65W,SocketAM3
Athlon IIX2 245(ADX245OCK23GQ),2.9GHz,1MB,rev.C2,65W,SocketAM3

So, if you're comfortable socketing yours and updating the board BIOS, go download the update (if you haven't already), have your board disc ready (you'll need it), wash your hands, get your paste, and follow the instruction for flashing the BIOS.

Back