• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair IV Extreme running SLI good or bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmie3054

Registered
Okay, So I want a good motherboard.
The Crosshair IV Extreme looks like the best one I can get for my AMD Phenom II x6 1090t.

Now I need to buy two video cards to run SLI.(obviously)
I am having a hard time to choose though.

I really want Nvidia because It has the PhysX and 3d.
I just don't know how well the GTX 480s will do in the Crosshair IV Extreme. The motherboard is a AMD chip but it is able to run SLI using the Lucid Hydra thing.

I just want to know if I would get same performance using SLI in another motherboard that does not have a AMD chip. Thanks

I'm pretty sure you won't have any compatability problems if that's what you're asking. The couple of articles I glanced through (I'm not much of a video person so I was reading them for the OC, not the gaming ;)) didn't mention any problems - and I think that would have included any obvious downgrade in video performance.

As far as an "AMD chip" goes - I hope you're refering to the chipset, not the processor. There are several AMD boards out there with nVidia chipsets in them and, of course, they run only SLI. :) I believe the latest nVidia chipset is the 980a ...

+Quiet

I agree with QuietIce from what research I have done, and just incase you come across any issues let the people here know and keep us updated. This website is like crack to me. :D

well with the crosshair IV extreme there will be no problem again this is the extreme version because it has a chip in it so it can run both the ATI and NVIDIA cards anddo them in crossfire or SLI without bridges or a mixture of the 2 brands.ill add an artical when i find one to back this up.

Back