• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Unveils X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

In a surprise turn of events on Friday, ASUS revealed the ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Extreme E-ATX motherboard. For Asus, this marks a return to the Extreme designator for AMD boards and is the latest flagship supplanting the Formula series. The ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Extreme supports all modern Ryzen CPUs (2000 series and newer) and APUs (2000 G Series and newer) and features an 18+2 phase VRM design with 90A power stages, microfine alloy chokes, and 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors. Pricing and availability have not been released at this time, but we'll keep you posted. Below are additional specifications taken from the ASUS website.

Click here to view the article.

Always so weird when a company releases a flagship/halo product over a year after the release of the original products.

I would have thought they'd label it an X570S since it doesn't have a chipset fan. Since X570 and 5000 series are going to be here for another year+, can't say I blame them for making another round of boards. B550 and Z590 look a lot better than the original X570 release boards and have some improved parts (more robust VRMs, newer audio codecs, Wi-Fi 6E, 2.5 GbE across the board, etc). Maybe not terribly useful, but, an upgrade.

New AMD isnt coming out for another year+... why not? X570 has been around for 2+ years. If you're upgrading now and don't want to wait 12+ months, the refreshes offer improvements both hardware and, generally appearance. Sure it's a money grab too... but, they offer solid (albeit pricey) boards. :shrug: :cool:

My point is that most who wanted high-end X570 mobo, already got it. Those who are thinking about it, already have many options and this model is not so much different than the Formula, Dark Hero, or Hero. Mainly aesthetics, "new" chipset that in this case gives nothing as other ASUS mobos had no fans anyway. More power phases ... like 14+ wasn't enough. Extreme overclockers pushed CPUs to the limits on weaker designs. So pointless for me as this is a motherboard for very few users who have too much money and care about the motherboard aesthetics more than functionality.
On the bright side, ASUS can take care of one more motherboard, deliver good BIOS, etc. If it was ASRock or Gigabyte then I would worry about any additional support in 6-8 months. Most motherboard manufacturers already moved their BIOS teams to motherboards on next-gen chipsets.

My point is that most who wanted high-end X570 mobo, already got it. Those who are thinking about it, already have many options and this model is not so much different than the Formula, Dark Hero, or Hero. Mainly aesthetics, "new" chipset that in this case gives nothing as other ASUS mobos had no fans anyway. More power phases ... like 14+ wasn't enough. Extreme overclockers pushed CPUs to the limits on weaker designs. So pointless for me as this is a motherboard for very few users who have too much money and care about the motherboard aesthetics more than functionality.
On the bright side, ASUS can take care of one more motherboard, deliver good BIOS, etc. If it was ASRock or Gigabyte then I would worry about any additional support in 6-8 months. Most motherboard manufacturers already moved their BIOS teams to motherboards on next-gen chipsets.

Woomack sums it up succinctly. It only offers 1 "aesthetic" advantage over the Dark Hero; The right-angle ATX connector...the other features aren't worth replacing a current high-end X570.

Agreed it isn't a replacement for an existing board... but the market is there for upgrades to the platform. Again, nothing new from AMD for at least another 12 months. Why wouldn't you get the latest audio codec/wi-fi/better vrm, etc if you could? I mean, I get that it doesn't make much of a difference, but late to the party or not, there's some value in these X570S refresh boards for the more broad market. :)

EDIT: Native 5000 series support is also worth something as well. 95% of X570 boards came out when they weren't around. So you would have to 1. Get lucky and have a new(er) BIOS on the board 2. Buy a board with BIOS Flashback capabilities 3. Have a 3000 series chip on hand. :shrug:

... again, it's a money grab, but, I still think there's plenty of sales to be had from those upgrading to X570, or maybe they even outgrew B550 and needs more lanes. :shrug: :)

Back