• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG HERO VIII DARK - 2.5Gbe Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadian911Guy

Hello All,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

My build:

ASUS ROG HERO VIII DARK
RYZEN 9 3900XT (w/ AIO)
Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 16GB)
MSI NVIDIA 2080 Ti Gaming X
WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 PCI-E v4.0 x4 SSD, 1TB
3 other SSD's
1 HDD

The motherboard comes with 1Gb LAN & 2.5Gb LAN. I want to take full advantage of the 2.5Gb, but I'm not sure what additional hardware I need. I am in British Columbia, Canada. I have Telus 1Gig Pure Fibre internet and I'm just using the T3200M ActionTek Modem that they supply.

I know I need a switch, but I haven't a clue which one to get?
Do I need to use the SFP from the back of the modem to said switch?
Do I maybe need to buy a different modem?
Do I then bypass the Telus Modem or do I just patch the new modem from the Telus modem?
Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!!

-Mark

You need 2.5GB internet at your house... or it has to be on a local network with everything in the network you want to be 2.5GbE, 2.5 GbE.

Id imagine you will need to buy a new router as I would imagine that most routers from an ISP are 1 GbE max. You may need to buy a modem and a router.

You need 2.5GB internet at your house... or it has to be on a local network with everything in the network you want to be 2.5GbE, 2.5 GbE.

Id imagine you will need to buy a new router as I would imagine that most routers from an ISP are 1 GbE max. You may need to buy a modem and a router.

Yep.

Basically it is only useful if you are connecting to other locations that also support >1Gbit. Even if that is just your local internal network, you would need >1Gbit (I'm guessing 10gig router+Switch is more common than 2.5gbit router+switch, but you would have to check that). If you wanted to take advantage of that outside of your home network you would need a WAN speed over 1Gbit and of course a modem that supported the speeds as well. Beyond that is connecting to servers that can serve data at that speed.

2.5/5G routers are starting to appear on the market much faster and at much lower prices than 10G. Also good luck to find 10G switch at a reasonable price while 2.5G are cheap and 5G are not bad priced but still rare. Most networking brands have in their offers 2.5G switches nowadays, most of them still don't have 10G. It looks like in "gaming" products, 2.5G is becoming a new standard, or just manufacturers are trying to make it a standard because it's "all x2.5 faster". Let's say I've checked the whole offer of these devices a couple of months ago. I recommend checking full specifications before any purchase. Most 2.5G, 5G and 10G switches have only 1-2 ports at a higher speed than 1G. The same routers often have 1 WAN at a higher speed but LAN at 1G.
At home I have now Netgear RAX120 router with 5G WAN/LAN and Netgear XS505M switch as it was the cheapest switch with x4 10G ports (there is 8 port version too).

My local ISP is offering 10G fiber internet (they say it works up to 8.5G). I only wonder if most of people who decide on that know they need 10G switch+router+NIC to use it at full speed and it will cost them a lot, not to mention that there are nearly no laptops and other mobile devices with faster NIC than ~1G.

My local ISP is offering 10G fiber internet (they say it works up to 8.5G). I only wonder if most of people who decide on that know they need 10G switch+router+NIC to use it at full speed and it will cost them a lot, not to mention that there are nearly no laptops and other mobile devices with faster NIC than ~1G.

Man I wish I could get 10G fiber!

Back