• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i run 128GB RAM @ 3600MHZ CL18 on my Dark Hero MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fadiobaji

Hello,

I have the following:
Motherboard: Asus ROG crosshair VIII DARK HERO
CPU: Ryzen 5950x

Now i want to get the RAM and i need 128GB, i've been researching this kit: F4-3600C18Q-128GTZN

Now i checked the QVL of the Dark Hero motherboard, the RAM kit doesn't seem to belong there. I don't understand the QVL actually, if a RAM kit doesn't belong to the mobo QVL, is it 100% not going to work at the advertised XMP values?

Did anyone try to overclock 128GB ram on dark hero?

Can i make this kit run at 3600MHZ CL18?

Welcome to the forum.

That is a lot of memory and $$$, sure you need that much? I look at QVL as a suggested list. I can't think of the last time I bought memory that was actually listed on my motherboards QVL and so far had no problems with compatibility. That said I run Intel so memory tends to not be a problem. AMD on the other hand has been quite picky these days but G-Skill is pretty reliable memory and will most likely work. Again, I run Intel and I would wait for confirmation from some of the AMD guys that will chime in here soon.

As for overclocking, you will already be stressing the CPU when running 128bg and four sticks so I wouldn't plan on much overclock. I would plan for stock PC3600.

If you are running A 5950X, 16 threads, 32 cores, and need 128 gigs of ram, you are creating content of some sort.
I do A lot of 3D rendering and have found it's best to run ram at the default values.

Hello,

I have the following:
Motherboard: Asus ROG crosshair VIII DARK HERO
CPU: Ryzen 5950x

Now i want to get the RAM and i need 128GB, i've been researching this kit: F4-3600C18Q-128GTZN

Now i checked the QVL of the Dark Hero motherboard, the RAM kit doesn't seem to belong there. I don't understand the QVL actually, if a RAM kit doesn't belong to the mobo QVL, is it 100% not going to work at the advertised XMP values?

Did anyone try to overclock 128GB ram on dark hero?

Can i make this kit run at 3600MHZ CL18?
If RAM is on the QVL list, that means it was tested successfully on that mobo. If ram isn't on the list that means it wasn't tested or failed.

In the case of intel, they will work with just about any ram... whereas with amd, they are a bit more finicky. You'll want to stick with qvl for amd for assured support.

As far as the dark hero, never ran that much, but I highly doubt you'll get 128GB at 3600. Too much ram too fast for the platform. You'll likely need to run it at 3200 (or less) which is the max for the platform (what im guessing was called default above).

Welcome to the forum.

That is a lot of memory and $$$, sure you need that much? I look at QVL as a suggested list. I can't think of the last time I bought memory that was actually listed on my motherboards QVL and so far had no problems with compatibility. That said I run Intel so memory tends to not be a problem. AMD on the other hand has been quite picky these days but G-Skill is pretty reliable memory and will most likely work. Again, I run Intel and I would wait for confirmation from some of the AMD guys that will chime in here soon.

As for overclocking, you will already be stressing the CPU when running 128bg and four sticks so I wouldn't plan on much overclock. I would plan for stock PC3600.

Am i stressing the CPU if i'm not using all the 128GB?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If you are running A 5950X, 16 threads, 32 cores, and need 128 gigs of ram, you are creating content of some sort.
I do A lot of 3D rendering and have found it's best to run ram at the default values.

Hey, yeah i'm gonna use the pc for programming with various languages and Unity game development, and of course gaming.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If RAM is on the QVL list, that means it was tested successfully on that mobo. If ram isn't on the list that means it wasn't tested or failed.

In the case of intel, they will work with just about any ram... whereas with amd, they are a bit more finicky. You'll want to stick with qvl for amd for assured support.

As far as the dark hero, never ran that much, but I highly doubt you'll get 128GB at 3600. Too much ram too fast for the platform. You'll likely need to run it at 3200 (or less) which is the max for the platform (what im guessing was called default above).

If i go with 64GB, will that be better? and if so; do i get 2 DIMMs or 4?

You can have a hard time stabilizing 128GB at 3600 or higher on Ryzen 5000. I could barely run 128GB at DDR4-3600 using Ryzen 5900X and it required manual tweaking and higher voltages. I could do that without issues and OC up to 4133+ on Ryzen 4650G. Simply Ryzen 5000 has too weak memory controller.
I'm not saying it won't work but you need a CPU with good memory controller and it's really random.
I guess you can live with 64GB RAM. Most 2x16GB and 2x32GB kits are overclocking about the same on Ryzen. If you want to have that option to add next 64GB, just in case if you will need it, then get 2x32GB.

Hey, yeah i'm gonna use the pc for programming with various languages and Unity game development, and of course gaming.
These things use up that much RAM? You're sure...? That's just a ton of money to throw away if most of it isn't being used. Unused RAM isn't helpful.

If i go with 64GB, will that be better? and if so; do i get 2 DIMMs or 4?
You'd have a better chance to hit it with less, yes, as that is less stress on the IMC of the CPU.

Does what you do really benefit with RAM speed? That is a question worth knowing the answer to as well.

IMO if you're going to be doing any serious work with 128GB of RAM you should be using ECC memory.

Back