• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need an advice on new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
Hi everyone.
Can anyone recommend 32gb ram for the new build?
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
rtx 3090
ryzen 5900x
1tb + 2tb m.2
Seasonic Prime 1000W
I was looking at G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX but not sure if it's a good idea. Also not sure if it's a dual rank.
But if it's a suitable one, can I install 32 two more later(how stable is it with 4 sticks)?

Difinitively, look here:
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl

I would buy two sticks of 16GB instead of 4x8GB. Dual channel. Get a CAS that is in the even numbers and not odd. CAS 14 or 16 or 18 would be better CAS 13 or 15 or 17 would be bad.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007611 8000 601349177 600082361 600327642

Are you really sure that you need/want 32GB? 8GB is a good landing spot and 16GB would be bragging rights. If you must have 32GB then do it, otherwise, it's more likely a waste of $$$.

Thanks for the answer.
Looks like the one I chose (G.Skill Trident Z) should work fine.
And yeah, for work, 32gb is a minimum.

Thanks for the answer.
Looks like the one I chose (G.Skill Trident Z) should work fine.
And yeah, for work, 32gb is a minimum.

If 32 is your minimum, then you can get 2x32GB. My thought is that by keeping one stick per channel maintains speed. If you end up with 4 sticks of RAM, each channel has to split communications giving just a slight downgrade in speed. It's not much but if you are building from scratch, why not do it right?

PS, your MB will take up to 4x32GB so I would go with 2x32GB max. 2x16GB fits your OP.

My thought is that by keeping one stick per channel maintains speed...each channel has to split communications giving just a slight downgrade in speed.
Got any links so I can read up? I've never heard of that and I don't believe my AIDA results agree (at least on Intel - I don't imagine that to differ on AMD, but can't test instantly). :)

EDIT: It is possible, I suppose, but you would need a dual rank setup with two sticks and single rank setup with 4 sticks. That wouldn't happen if the dual channel kit is already dual rank and you're dropping a duplicate kit in there.

If 32GB is the minimum, I would start out with 2x16GB. This way you can upgrade to 4x16GB down the road. If you need more density, you can scrap these new kit for 32GB sticks. Just be aware if that if you go 32GB, you'll likely need to lower the speed from 3200 or tweak some voltage (SOC) to get it to work. That's a lot of memory for the memory controller. :)

EDIT2: Below are images of 2x8GB and 4x8GB sticks from the same kit...looks like 4 are negligibly faster (though I would call it the same considering run variance).

1.png
2.png

Last edited:
If 32GB is the minimum, I would start out with 2x16GB. This way you can upgrade to 4x16GB down the road.
That's the plan.
So If I got G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX I can safely add two more 16 gb later, right?

Yes. And you should be able to run at 3200 MHz without tweaks. If you go with higher density (2x32GB), you're likely going to be tweaking out of the box and running slower than 3200.

ED: I don't have anything to back up my statement. The thought centers around the fact that each memory channel can supply two slots. If there is only one stick of RAM, then there is only one path. If you put in two sticks on a single channel, then the controller has to switch back and forth. To my thinking, two sticks with one in each channel allows the controller to send data to/from one stick per channel and not switch within either/each channel.

Note: I'm talking about each channel. It is well documented that if you have two channels, you want RAM in both channels. If you have four channels, then fill four slots. In those senarios, each channel has two slots. a two channel board will typically have four slots. Four channel will have up to eight slots. I'm saying that one stick per channel is ideal with no proof to that statement.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

That's the plan.
So If I got G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX I can safely add two more 16 gb later, right?

I agree with EarthDog that this is correct.

ED: I don't have anything to back up my statement. The thought centers around the fact that each memory channel can supply two slots. If there is only one stick of RAM, then there is only one path. If you put in two sticks on a single channel, then the controller has to switch back and forth. To my thinking, two sticks with one in each channel allows the controller to send data to/from one stick per channel and not switch within either/each channel.

Note: I'm talking about each channel. It is well documented that if you have two channels, you want RAM in both channels. If you have four channels, then fill four slots. In those senarios, each channel has two slots. a two channel board will typically have four slots. Four channel will have up to eight slots. I'm saying that one stick per channel is ideal with no proof to that statement.
Gotcha. :thup:

...though it doesn't seem to work out that way in practice, at least with AIDA results on the Intel CPU (again I don't imagine it to be any different with AMD... I don't have an AMD handy to test). I really don't think there's anything wrong with using four sticks versus two outside of the fact that it stresses the IMC more and can require the use of more voltage (depending on density) and lowers peak RAM speeds. Maybe Woomack can share some details if he runs across this. :)

Typically there is barely any difference if you run 2x dual rank vs 4x single rank or 4x dual rank memory. It supposed to act in about the same way. The difference is almost always in sub-timings which is a long list nowadays and most are set automatically. Higher-density memory modules have always much more relaxed timings. This is where you see that 2-3GB/s difference in memory copy (sometimes read) results but almost never in memory write.

On all platforms for years, dual-rank memory was faster (usually used for professional applications or something like superpi 32M ;) ) but we could barely see it in popular applications. Ryzen 5000 is the first that is showing significant differences also in games. However, it's acting in a bit different way depends on the CPU. You will see a higher gain when the CPU will have more cores. New Intel CPUs are also showing better results with dual rank memory.

In short:
2x single rank < 2x dual rank
2x single rank < 4x dual rank
4x single rank = 2x dual rank
2x dual rank = 4x dual rank
Everything else are variables because of timings, memory controller settings, or anything else that usually stays at auto settings in BIOS.

You can overclock 2x single rank to be faster than dual rank but modern chipsets are limiting overclocking because of low maximum IMC/IF frequency and required ratios.

Right now probably the only single-rank 16GB memory modules are still based on Micron B. All other popular IC are lower density and are always dual rank in 16GB modules. I guess that Hynix will be available wider with 16GB single-rank but I haven't seen these kits yet (more like I heard about them but haven't actually seen in mass sales). In theory, there should be single-rank modules based on the same IC as 32GB modules, just half capacity, but somehow they're not in stores except for mentioned Micron B.

Back