• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair IV Formula ? SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

I am looking at buying the Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard, and was wondering if it supported SLI. I have read in some reviews that it only supports crossfire. I am not sure if it is still that way or if it now does support SLI with a bios update? I have noticed that every motherboard with the AMD 890FX chipset only says crossfire support. Anybody know if I will be able to do an SLI setup? :confused:

AMD chipset = Crossfire only. AMD own ATI (which is now called AMD) and thus only want their cards use on board with their chipsets. Fairly basic business strategy, annoying as it is.

I believe there are ways to get around it with a 'mod' though I haven't done any reading into it. Have a look around, otherwise grab an intel chipset as they usually support both crossfire and sli.

gahh, that sucks. I am a Nvidia fanboy :p but I was going for an amd mobo because they generally are cheaper

crosshair IV extreme is coming out here in the next month or so wait for it supports SLI crossfire and have the LUCID and Hydra chip for cross GPU usage

In the article it said something about modified sli drivers... do you know if these drivers will not perform aswell as one on an intel board?
I don't do SLI or Crossfire - I just knew about the link from another thread I've been following.

Like I said, though, all you need to do is buy an nVidia chipset board and the problem is solved ...

crosshair IV extreme is coming out here in the next month or so wait for it supports SLI crossfire and have the LUCID and Hydra chip for cross GPU usage

sweetness. I am not going to be doing my build until christmas so hopefully it is out by then. i am just trying to do some planning.

I don't do SLI or Crossfire - I just knew about the link from another thread I've been following.

Like I said, though, all you need to do is buy an nVidia chipset board and the problem is solved ...

none of the nVidia chipsets have usb 3.0 or sata 6gb/s. i want those mainly for future proofing. so if there is an nVidia chipset amd board out there that supports those then i will get it. but for now it seems like i am just gonna have to do an intel system. unless that crosshair 4 extreme comes out in time.

Back