• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V - how to set cache for RAID ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
My question is in topic so simply I have no idea how to set cache for RAID on CHV ( other option than no cache/write through ). No matter how I set it in RAID ROM or RAIDXpert all cache options are greyed out and enabled is only default option - no cache.
I checked 4 UEFI versions with latest beta and all SATA settings. No difference.
Before I was using Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 and it had all options what in real gives up to 70% more in random transfers ( RAID0 ).
Please post if you have any experience with this issue.

Last edited:
I mean there are no write cache options in RAID controller BIOS ( that should be also available in RAIDXpert ). There is no way to change write/read cache settings. I don't know why it's not available in CHV while Gigabyte boards have these options.
System write-cache policy is available but I'm never using it with Crucial M4 in RAID0 because transfers are dropping.

Hey woomack, I'm trying the same thing, then I found the options are greyed out, so I googled, and I ended up in this thread. :D

So how did you fix it? :D

EDIT: My second click in google was this, also you:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6846-CHV-no-cache-options-in-RAID-ROM&p=56109

I'm noticing a trend here. :)

EDIT2: Checking my bios version now, you had posted in this thread as well:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l-M4-128-GB-SSDs&p=63360&viewfull=1#post63360

I can't get away from you! By the way, if you didn't get it working, I have seen working results with full caching options on CHV I believe.

EDIT3: Testing the modified updated rom bios available here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ut!-Version-1102&p=63332&viewfull=1#post63332

I will update this thread with results.

Last edited:
It works woomack!

I'm guessing you already got it working in the past for you, but maybe not. If not, be sure to grab the bios file in that post I linked bios 1102 modified is the one you want to flash. It gives full read ahead and write back cache support - once flashed, you can go back into the raid option rom and set the options there, and the options in raidxpert are no longer greyed out. :)

On my way back to pcmark glory...

EDIT: Correction, the options in raid bios are set to read ahead, and write back, however the options when viewing the logical drive in raidxpert still show read ahead and write back are not enabled.

Last edited:
Testing with ATTO on 2x RAID0 with maxiops, I'm getting a max of 800 write, and 700 read. If I set it to read ahead/write back, or no read ahead/write through, I get the same results either way.

Not sure whats up, but if you have any guidance, I would appreciate it. I got excited when I could set the right options in the option rom bios... But looks like I still haven't made any progress yet. :-/

Here's my atto result, regardless of which options are set in the option rom for the raid0:
atto.PNG

Very depressing. I had to run atto on the external raid to feel a little better, but that still doesn't help me for pcmark. Still sad. Areca 3x maxiops raid0:
areca.PNG

I made it work over a month ago ( info was also in my hwbot results ). I sent you pm with some other things.

Your areca 3x maxiops scores are quite impossible ... isn't that on 5 drives ? ... or caching is working so good :p

That areca is using 3x in that one, I stole 2 ssds to use with onboard. Its just caching though that makes it look good. ;)

El Gappo posted a first place single core submission I am trying to overtake. He got 1500 virus scan using onboard raid, but I can only do 300 or so with my areca and much less than that with onboard if I run the whole test suite. Hoping mg to figure out how to make onboard sing.

Back