• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Overclocking help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tliului

Hi, my motherboard is Asus Prime X370 Pro running latest bios 4012. I have R5 1600 @ 3.7 GHz stable and my RAM is Samsung B-die F4-3200C14D-16GVR (Thaiphoon actually lists is 8GVR?), G.Skill 2 x 8 GB Ripjaws V 3200 mhz. (Thaiphoon actually lists is 8GVR?)
Now it looks like my RAM is not at all in the memory QVL for my motherboard.

I had my RAM stable at 3200 mhz with these settings:

BCLK: 100
tCL: 8,75 ns
tRDCDRD: 8,75 ns
tRP: 8,75 ns
tRAS: 21,25 ns
tRC: 30 ns
tRFC: 350 ns
tRRDS: 3,5 ns
tRRDL: 5,0 ns
tFAW: 24 ns

tCL: 14
tRCDWR: 14
tRCDRD: 14
tRP: 14
tRAS: 30
tRC: 44
tRRDS: 5
tRRDL: 8
tFAW: 32
tFAWDLR: 0
tFAWSLR: 0
tWTRS: 4
tWTRL: 12
tWR: 24
tRCPAGE: 0
tRDRD SCL: 3
tWRWR SCL: 3

tRFC: 307,2
tFRC2: 228,2
tRFC4: 140,4
tRFC (alt): 312
tRFC 2 (alt): 231,8
tRFC 4 (alt): 142,6
tCWL: 14
tRTP: 8
tRDWR: 6
tWRRD: 3
tWRWR SC: 1
tWRWR SD: 7
tWRWR DD: 7
tRDRD SC: 1
tRDRD SD: 5
tRDRD DD: 5
tCKE: 8

DRAM voltage 1.35
SOC voltage 1.025 (afaik, I'm still not sure which option it is in the bios)

PowerDown Enabled
GearDown Enabled
CR 1T

procODT 53

The issue here with these timings was that I kept having random bsods relating to ntoskrnl.exe and those bsods stopped right after I disabled RAM overclocks. Now I am back to 2133 mhz and I have no idea how to continue.
Even though I passed both memtests, PassMark via usb and hcidesign version.

In my BIOS I have D.O.C.P option but if I select it, it will only recognize D.O.C.P DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34 1.35v and there is no other options below.
If I use that preset and set 2933 mhz, what will happen?

I used that particular D.O.C.P set at default settings and I had errors once memtest reached around 35%. I used it again but changed voltage from 1.35v to 1.365v and my results slightly got better, I got my first error at 48% but one error is too much, right?

How should I continue from here? All help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if your ASUS board has the memory presets in the timings section , if it does it's likely your easiest solution just try the Stilts 3200 safe preset

SOC Voltage will help DRAM stability, but try keeping it below 1.2V. Most of the times the sweet spot is 1.15V.

ProcODT setting will help a lot with stability and will be a MUST for overclocking. My BDie kit for 3200 is ok with 53.3 ohm but if I want to go higher i need 60 ohm. Up to 60 ohm is recommended for BDie kits. You should try with this setting.

DRAM voltage can go up to 1.4V but something between 1.35 - 1.375V most of the times is OK.

My recommendation will be to try maximizing DRAM clocks. Most of the times 3333-3466 is best spot and then try tightening the timmings. For me 3333 14 14 14 34 was performing overall better than 3600 16 16 16 36.

SOC = system on chip. It is basically the northbridge (operates the main buses, including memory controller) except it is integrated into the die. The Ryzen memory controller is being overclocked in addition to ram chips itself, and SOC is the voltage to that controller. They can be pretty sensitive but a little can go a long way. 1.2V is the recommended max. Always have to be aware of the risks etc as max set in bios is not the same as what the chip sees in every case.

Did anything change from when it was stable to when it was not?

I believe Johan is referring to the Ryzen DRAM calculator. Or maybe a setting in Asus bios.

Johan means OC profiles which are often available on higher ASUS motherboards. Something that was tested on this motherboard and supposed to work. Usually these profiles are for popular hardware so in this case memory with Samsung B IC. I remember there were some additional OC settings on the X370 Prime but I don't remember if there were memory profiles. I had this mobo with early BIOS and I wasn't using it for a long time.

Back