• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Eee Slate: Anyone getting one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

Hmmm, I'd be more interested in a lower-power chip so I can use it all day ... (would also bring the price down from the estimated $1100+).

True, it's pretty pricey for a tablet, but compare it to a 12" notebook with an i5, 4GB RAM, SSD, plus a touchscreen...seems about right, no?

I find the low power chips can't multitask fast enough. I'm usually doing 5 things at once...for example, on my laptop, it's not uncommon for me to be running Matlab, Excel, and Word simultaneously, plus iTunes, iCal, Firefox, and Thunderbird are always open. Not that I'd be doing that much on a tablet, of course. But I hate ANY sort of lag when switching between apps, scrolling large excel/word docs, etc.

Yes, for the components, the price is pretty good.

FWIW, I've found multitasking pretty decent on my Atom-based netbook, also typically with Chrome, Matlab, Word/Endnote or Powerpoint, Notepad++, and a DVI viewer open. But I think it really depends upon the use scenario ... (and I upgraded to 2 GB memory on Win 7 starter on that machine). And perhaps patience for multitasking. :)

Thought about it for work. But $300+ less for an iPad 2 won easier approval. And I have been buttering up our financial manager for months just to get that far. Very interested in how well it performs.

Yes, something A5-powered (or A9!) like that, but an open system instead.

Wish the Plastic Logic Que hadn't been cancelled--that's the kind of product I'm really interested in. Would love a lower-power thin device that could hold all my papers, and comfortably display them a full page at a time.

Haha, you missed the "thin" part. That gets a bit thick & heavy after the first hundred research papers. :)

I'm really excited to see some tablets come out competing that run a real operating system. I know some people like them, but tablets on iOS or Android are useless to me. Give me foobar2000 and all my other applications on a Windows platform and then I'm interested.

Check out this demo of the Eee Slate's performance:
Pretty awesome for something that small!

Also, the charger appears to be pretty small, so it shouldn't be a problem carrying it around.

Back