• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS EeePC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheshka

Registered
I was looking at purchasing the Eee PC Seashell 1005PE-MU17

1.66 GHz Intel Atom N450 Processor
1GB DDR2 RAM, 1 SODIMM Slot, 2GB Max
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) + 500GB Free Web Storage; Chiclet 10.1-Inch Color-Shine 1024X600 WSVGA LCD Display; 802.11 b/g/n
Windows 7 Starter Operating System

Has anyone had any experience with this netbook, positive or negative?

Asus makes very good netbooks. Good as in high quality, compared to alot of others. The others aren't bad per/se, but you can definitely tell the difference in build quality.

Do yourself and get the RAM upgrade up front if it will cost you less than 40 dollars. And get the 7200 RPM HDD. You will notice the difference.

The thing is I don't think that the 2GB upgrade is available in Canada.

I was planning on going through amazon.ca; however, if you know of any sellers that ship to Canada that offer the 2GB model please let me know.

I bought one for each of my two kids (16 and 12 at the time) over a year ago for Christmas, and they've both managed to survive nicely.
It was nice to find a standard SATA drive in my son's, so I could remove it and kill the virii he managed to contract by installing it in my own machine (that runs Kaspersky's) as a slave drive.

They have 1000HD's.

Thought about buying one for me too! I'm not up to speed on current models, but I'd recommend Asus!

I bought one for each of my two kids (16 and 12 at the time) over a year ago for Christmas, and they've both managed to survive nicely.
It was nice to find a standard SATA drive in my son's, so I could remove it and kill the virii he managed to contract by installing it in my own machine (that runs Kaspersky's) as a slave drive.

They have 1000HD's.

Thought about buying one for me too! I'm not up to speed on current models, but I'd recommend Asus!

I've had great expirence with ASUS; extremely happy with their motherboards.

Glad to hear they have an actual SATA drive instead of onboard SATA like some other netbooks.

Hello to all,
All the other netbooks of ASUS are fine and good to use.This 1005PE-M is full of helpful features the latest ATOM CPU from Intel, the N450, which consumes less power than its predecessors, allowing the 1005PE-M to get up to a whopping 11 hours of battery life. With built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, users can stay connected wherever they go. The 92%-scaled ergonomic keyboard and Multi-Touch touchpad make it a breeze to type and navigate through content.

I've had great expirence with ASUS; extremely happy with their motherboards.

Glad to hear they have an actual SATA drive instead of onboard SATA like some other netbooks.

Yep, an actual Seagate standard SATA 120G 5400 rpm laptop hard drive, just like what I already run in my ITX (though mine are bigger and faster SATAII's). Easily upgradeable from the 'egg or any other site with a 00 Phillips screwdriver...no special interface required.
An unexpected nice touch, to be sure.

@ashleynathomas, :welcome: to the forums!

Last edited:
I have a slightly older eeepc right now, I've had it for a little over a year now and I love it. I believe I got the 1000HE model and it runs great. The keyboard is actually quite easy to get used to and the battery life is excellent.

I have the 1005ha with windows 7 starter. Great little netbook and great battery life, I wish I had the 1005pe though for more battery life.... =(.

I highly recommend it and to upgrade the ram to 2 gigs for like 35-40 bucks. Then the next step is to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.

I've got a 1008HA. Love it. Looks like a macbook air, everything is rounded and hidden. I've dropped it on the ground and modded the innards and it keeps on tickin'. Solid buy.

I bought an EeePC 1201N last month. I upgraded the memory and it overclocks to 2.1 Ghz nicely. It plays games well (Battlefield Bad Company 2 and NFS:Shift). 720P video looks amazing on the screen and 1080P plays flawlessly when hooked to the tv through it's built in HDMI port. Highly recommended. Just don't buy it in black. I bought mine in Silver and am very pleased with the finish (has a brushed aluminum look to it).

Ive had an Eeepc 900 with a celeron cpu and linux mint7 and win7 ultimate. Worked like a charm. Even at the stock 900 mhz. Did upgrade the ram to max though. The ram upgrade is recommended.
Now on I have an Eeepc 901. Also with 2 gigs ram.
Running those puppies side by side with the same os revealed a few things.
Older wifi chip had better reception, surprisingly.
Both have handled every os I've thrown at them. Although I havent tried vista with them.
But several users have reported decent performance with vista on a N270 cpu.
Day to day differences.
The 901 seemed a miniscule bit slower in day to day use actually.
Battery life on the little ******** have been spectacular.
900 around 3 and a half hours full brightness wifi on brosing and playing flash games.
901 around 4 and a half hours ditto conditions.
All in all higly recommended and capable little laptops.
I used mine as a primary sytem for almost two years.:thup:

Back