• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus EEE PC 1005 PE Netbook, 2 GB PC2-5300 RAM (DDR2-667) Ok to run at 800 MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trevayne10

Hello -

(Per the title) - I have an old Asus EEE PC 1005PE Netbook (intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz CPU), intel NM10 chipset -

This netbook originally had a 1 GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) SODIMM in it, but I wanted to upgrade it to 2 GB. Unfortunately the Microcenter store where I went to had only PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) SODIMMS. The sales guy saw that the original DIMM was DDR2-800, but said that the DDR2-667 part would work fine. So I bought it for $29.99

After I got home I popped the 2GB stick it in, BIOS saw it and recognized it just fine, and the netbook really came to life (I also put a SanDisk 120GB Plus SSD in it, along with Windows 10 Home x64, which it boots to a desktop in about 20 seconds, instead of 1.5 minutes). It responds and feels like a proper laptop, now.

According to CPU-Z, the FSB base speed with the DD2-667 DIMM is 166.7 Mhz, giving an FSB speed of 667 MHz (x4 multiplier).

To get a little more oomph out of it, I downloaded and installed SetFSB, which allows me to (carefully!) muck around with the FSB timings. I gradually brought the CPU speed up from 1.66 GHz to 2.04 GHz, and ran it overnight. No BSODs, I stress tested it overnight with MemTest and Prime95, no errors - butter smooth, and very snappy response. It still runs great, and Temp1 ("package") and CPU core temps average around 57° and 52° C, respectively, under full load (about where they were before the overclock). With the awful Windows 7 "Starter Edition (32-bit), under load the idling & full load temps on this netbook were in agreement with Asus' specs on their website - around 27°C to 32°C (very low power profile, maximized for battery life, and only a 32-bit OS - so 52°C and 57°C are fine with a proper 64-bit OS, running in High Performance profile, mostly on AC power).

All benchmark scores are in line with 2.040 GHz CPU speed.

CPU-Z shows the FSB speed is 814 MHz (with the overclock - should be "800"?), instead of 667 Mhz) - is my 667 MHz memory also running at 814 MHz? Or is it really running at around 690 MHz (asynchronously from the real FSB, but proportionately faster)?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Trev

ps - I plan on eventually getting a proper DDR2-800 MHz 2GB SODIMM.

Last edited:
Back