• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Expert sata port config?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

box bundy

Registered
Hi. Can someone tell me if there are preferred locations for where devices are installed on this motherboard to ensure maximum performance?
There's nothing much in the manual other than not to use atapi devices on the 2 ASMedia ports. I assume my Blu Ray reader writer is excluded from using these 2 ports am I right?
I also assume the SSD with the windows installation goes on the first Z87 port (sata1) and my Blu ray drive on the last Z87 port (sata 6). Where do the other SSDs and HDDs go (eg. Is there an order preference for different types of disks such as a Backup Disk, RAMDisk, or even a programs and user data Disk)?
Should i confine all my SSDs, HDDs and Blu ray drive to the Z87 sata ports or can I use the 2 ASMedia sata ports in some way to maximize performance?
I ask this because I have read of such preferences on other motherboards but can't find much in the manual.

The Z87 chipset now has 6 SATA3 ports native to it. Any one of those will be fine for any of your devices really. Putting other drives on other ports will not help performance. You can put them there if you choose. Personally, I jam the native ports and disable the other one(s) (for no particular reason other than if I am not using it, I disable it).

what about the location of bluray drive and windows installation?
another thing format GPT or MBR for this board?

Back