• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Luckily I put all the misc. screws and stuff away. Unluckily, it too me 4 hours of searching to find where I put them... I'll never learn.

Ordered the new AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz from Newegg. I might be looking for a second DCU2 just to see what 2 of them will do along with the new CPU.

I guess I should update my sig. Only thing the same is monitors (added a 3rd), burner, CPU and ram.

I upgraded everything else with the (then) new DCU2. Using a Crosshair V Formula-Z MB, I'm on a full water loop with EK waterblocks on the CPU and GPU with a Kookance 401x2 pump/res. 360 Black Ice rad w/push-pull NB-Multiframe S-Series fans and Scythe 6 chnl fan controller. 4TB RAID 10 data storage w/4TB separate backup and Samsung SSD 840 boot drive. 1000 Watt OCZ ZX psu in a Corsair Obsidian box to hold it all.

Best setup I've had todate and works (usually) very well. I've had it to 5.3 GHz in testing under chilled air and run it 4.8 all the time. It's fun to play with when I take the time. Problem is, time is pretty scarce alot, so I have to almost re-learn stuff when I come back to it for OC'ing or upgrades.

Well, this is really a strange graphic card. I got the waterblock off and all returned back to stock cooling, just like new. Figured might as well do a quick test, so popped back in the computer and after about a half-hour of testing this thing, I can't get it to crash!

What is going on here?

Temps worked just as I can remember them working when I first got this card. They can reach mid 70's under extreme load and everything set to max in GPU Tweak. Still, won't crash running all everything that did crash it while it was running on water. The thing I can think is it likes max temps in the 70 not in the high 30's like it does on water.

What else could it be?

-Rodger

Back