• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus K8V-X Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andy7t

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a K8V-X for my new Athlon 64 machine.

I was planning on this:

Asus K8V-X
Athlon 64bit 3000+ Newcastle
512Mb Crucial PC3200
80Gb Western Dig Barracuda

A few questions though.
This board doesn't seem to have a standard floppy connector from the pictures, yet it comes with a floppy lead?

Will this support all my normal 32Bit PCI cards- my DLink WLAN card in particular?
Is there any reason why the RAM slots are black except one which is blue?

If i were to use my old RAM (PC2100 512Mb), what effect would that have on speed/performace of my 64Bit chip?
So, what are your thoughts on the K8V-X?

I have the exact same setup due to a generic power supply giving up on me and taking the DFI board I have with me.

This K8V-X HAS a floppy connecter right below the IDE (just doesn't look like the conventional pins.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support your PCI component.

andy7t said:
Hi,

I was thinking of buying a K8V-X for my new Athlon 64 machine.

I was planning on this:

Asus K8V-X
Athlon 64bit 3000+ Newcastle
512Mb Crucial PC3200
80Gb Western Dig Barracuda

A few questions though.
This board doesn't seem to have a standard floppy connector from the pictures, yet it comes with a floppy lead?

I don't know if you can use PC2100 with it yet (I havne't played around the BIOS memory settings to slow mine down).. so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

The big problem with this board is that the v-core voltage maxes out at 1.750. I can't seem to get a stable overclock at 2.50 Ghz AND the 6800GT max-overclocked.

The CPU crashes amidst 3dmark (unless stalling when the vGA card doesn't get enough Voltage/or Current). So it's dfeintely a problem. Looking for a BIOS fix for it on here..

So far so good otherwise..
Will this support all my normal 32Bit PCI cards- my DLink WLAN card in particular?
Is there any reason why the RAM slots are black except one which is blue?

If i were to use my old RAM (PC2100 512Mb), what effect would that have on speed/performace of my 64Bit chip?
So, what are your thoughts on the K8V-X?

If you don't already have those components, you should go with a S939 setup.

Obviously, your memory will slow down your computer. How much depends on what apps you intend to use.

Back