• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus KGPE-D16 System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FievelJ

I am just being curious as to if anyone else has built a system using this board.

I found it to be a little funny with it excepting certain ram. I figure if I could get some which has actually worked in this board before if I could get Dual Channel to work.

Perhaps using actual ECC Registered memory.

I have 16 installed, but it's only accepting 12 out of 16.
Not complaining as it's more memory than I had previously got it to take.

Are all slots good? All memory sticks good? (Swap around to isolate and test)? Are they installed in the right slots? Is the memory in the qvl?
https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/KGPED16/HelpDesk_QVL/

Yes they are. I figure there's two sticks which it just wont except.

What I am thinking of doing is getting 8 sticks of memory which has been tested for this board, then filling all the orange slots so there's no confusion. Originally I had filled a board full of ECC Registered, and the board was bad. I got a new board which excepts ram better. It wouldn't except ram except for with one CPU. The new board works much better, and I can use both CPUs.

In a way I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the ram I had, would have been 128GB. All filled without the worry I filled them correctly.

I found it to be a little funny with it excepting certain ram. I figure if I could get some which has actually worked in this board before if I could get Dual Channel to work.

Perhaps using actual ECC Registered memory.

Well that is a server motherboard you that have there, so yes it would need ECC ram. I have 2 quad socket MB servers with Opteron 6276 CPU's :)

Well that is a server motherboard you that have there, so yes it would need ECC ram. I have 2 quad socket MB servers with Opteron 6276 CPU's :)

Cool mine is just a dual but I have 6378s in it. Been thinking about getting a quad system without most things and finish it buying only two more CPUs. Or just upgrading to 6386 Se CPUs. They are not as expensive as they once were and can get them at a decent price on Ebay. That's where I got these CPUs too.

It was the first time I ever dealt with a type of (Land Grid Array) LGA but I did okay. If not I wouldn't be able to type on this system. I did fine when installing my CPUs and was very careful not to touch the LGA contacts. Contact plates instead of pins. It is kind of neat.

LGA CPU's are great, you don't have to worry about bending the pins because there are no pins on the CPU, but the socket is another beast. You need to be careful not to bend the pins in the socket (see pic):rofl: There are other pics of damaged LGA sockets on the forums but I don't remember where they are.

messpins.jpg

LGA CPU's are great, you don't have to worry about bending the pins because there are no pins on the CPU, but the socket is another beast. You need to be careful not to bend the pins in the socket (see pic):rofl: There are other pics of damaged LGA sockets on the forums but I don't remember where they are.

View attachment 211350

That really looks bad.
I am very careful when placing chips of this type into a board.

That's what the LGA socket on one of my old boards looked like when I tried to clean thermal paste from it with a soft cloth.

That's what the LGA socket on one of my old boards looked like when I tried to clean thermal paste from it with a soft cloth.

I would rather not touch the LGA socket in anyway if I can help it.

PS, about your info after the system info.

I only wish sometimes there was a god. But I am rather glad there's probably not.

I am looking into replacing my current board, as if there's any soldering to do to replace the BIOS chip, I would rather replace the board. Ultimately what I am going to do is once I have a working board is upgrade it some until I have the money for something else. Looking into a GTX 1060 as they have come down since their release, and it'll be an upgrade from what I do have which is like a R250. Radeon I think, Radeon R7 250. Had to look it up, and posting to an old thread as it's relevant to what I am doing in the near future.

Thanks For Reading.

Back