• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M2N-MX SE PLUS - PCI conflict

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldenwings

Hi,

I've a motherboard ASUS model M2N-MX SE Plus, running with my AMD micro.

Yesterday I bought a PCI card that provides 3 SATA + 1 IDE ports to my system (a generic card with the chipset VIA VT6421A).

Once the card was installed, it was impossible to configure, since a conflict was present.

Finally, I found that the problem was with the other card in the second PCI slot: a video capture card, Miro DC30.

I then remove the Miro card, and keep installed just the new adapter card, and then the new card was configured OK, but after trying to install again the Miro card (even switching the PCI Slots), the conflict returned again.

Is there any tip to avoid the conflict (IRQ assign, etc.)? :confused:

suggestions are welcomed! :clap:

:welcome: to OCF!

You may have to experiment with different manual IRQ settings. Let us know what OS you're running (if it's Windows please include the version, Vista-32, Win7-64, etc) and I'll have the thread moved to that section where you can get better help on the subject. I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue ...

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

You may have to experiment with different manual IRQ settings. Let use know what OS you're running (if it's Windows please include the version, Vista-32, Win7-64, etc) and I'll have the thread moved to that section where you can get better help on the subject. I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue ...

I am running Windows XP SP3...

when you are saying that you are not able to configure the card, do you mean you can't access the card's add-on bios settings? from the sounds of what you are describing, it sounds like a conflict in the bios and not with the operating system. i'll see if i can find anything in the manual if i get a chance in the next couple hours.

when you are saying that you are not able to configure the card, do you mean you can't access the card's add-on bios settings? from the sounds of what you are describing, it sounds like a conflict in the bios and not with the operating system. i'll see if i can find anything in the manual if i get a chance in the next couple hours.

When I first installed the card's drivers, and after booting the system (with the other PCI card, the Miro DC30), the card wasn't recognized in Windows, and looking in the hardware information, the card was not available, due to a conflict.

After desinstalling (phisically) the Miro DC30, then the SATA adaptor card runs OK.

After that, I swap posicions of both cards, in the PCI slots, but the conflict was still present.

I suspect that any configuration is needed in the Bios (like you think), but I don't know what to do, since I couldn't find how to set differents IRQ for each card, if this is possible.

thanks for any info you could provide me :attn:

hmm, ok. only thing i can think off right off the top of my head is to make sure plug & play is set to 'yes' or 'enabled' in your bios.

hmm, ok. only thing i can think off right off the top of my head is to make sure plug & play is set to 'yes' or 'enabled' in your bios.

I set to the option of Plug and Play after I installed the new card and found the conflict (this was the only change I made in the Bios).

But, finally, I have just desinstalled the drivers, rebooted, and started again the system with both PCI cards, then I installed again the PCI to Sata drivers, rebooted, and then the "new" card was working, but in the Control Panel>System>Hardware>Devices Administrator, there is still a yellow "?" symbol (meaning that still there's a conflict) that says: "Other Devices" > "Unknown Device", and in the properties of that unknown device it says is something in the PCI ISA slot, and that the "controller for that device isn't installed (cod 28)".

When I try to install the controller, it says that "it wasn't possible to install the hardward, since no software was found" (or something similar, I am translating from my PC in spanish).

On the other hand... the device now IS working (even with that warning of Unknown Device), and in the "Device Administration" section, the controller for the VIA VT6421 RAID card, says that is working Ok, I just wanna know if is possible to eliminate that warning.

Thanks for all!!

it sounds like it is still missing a driver. i would imagine a cd came with the card. just make sure you have installed any software/drivers they have available or have windows search the cd they provided for the driver.

But, finally, I have just desinstalled the drivers, rebooted, and started again the system with both PCI cards, then I installed again the PCI to Sata drivers, rebooted, and then the "new" card was working, but in the Control Panel>System>Hardware>Devices Administrator, there is still a yellow "?" symbol (meaning that still there's a conflict) that says: "Other Devices" > "Unknown Device", and in the properties of that unknown device it says is something in the PCI ISA slot, and that the "controller for that device isn't installed (cod 28)".
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it being ISA hardware. There is (or should be) an option in BIOS for PCI IRQ assignment. The older ASUS board I have has two options for that, "PCI Device" and "Reserved". "Reserved" is short for "Reserved for ISA" - so you might try that setting.

I installed the drivers provided in the CD (when I tried to recognize the new hardware at the begin of the installation), but when I look in the CD for the supposed missing driver for this "unknow device", it says what I write before: "it wasn't possible to install the hardward, since no software was found".

I will try later to find another driver (if exist)...

Back