• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M3A32-MVP bios memory timing glitch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicolaid

Registered
Anyone else getting this?

I am running an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe with BIOS 1202 and am noticing that whatever memory timing you set for tRas, the actual value (as displayed by programs such as memset or cpuz) is 2 points less than what you asked for in bios. For instance if I set 5-5-5-18, the windows programs (and also memtest86+) show it as 5-5-5-16. What gives here, is this a bios glitch, is my tRas really at 16???

Thanks

Got exactly the same board too, and i'm just getting into the memory timings.

I've gone into the bios to change them from auto (5-7-7-24-31) to the recommended 5-5-5-15-30. (533mhz @ 2.2v)

First thing i noticed was the lowest setting for CL, TRCD and TRP is 5, so the recomended setting is as low as it will go - no chance of getting them to 4. When i booted and opened CPU-Z, the tRAS was showing the correct 15 clocks ok, but the tRC was 29, not 30. So i don't know whether you've got a glitch or not. There are SO many settings in the Dram Frequency menu and all of them apart from the above few are on auto.

By the way, thanks for letting me know there was a new bios version 1202 out! ;)
I'm still using 1102 but will update later today.

Looking at the Asus site:

Version 1202 2008/07/22 update

Description 1202 BIOS for M3A32-MVP Deluxe/Wifi-AP
1.Enhance memory compatibility.
2.Down speed from 1066 to 800Mhz if there are two 1066 dimm in one channel.

Question, having 4x 1066mhz sticks in the 4 slots means your running two pairs in dual channel, yes? So there shouldn't be any downspeed in that config, only if you, say, had a ram stick in slot 1 and 2?

Yes, if you have all 4 memory banks filled, you are running in a dual channel configuration. However, just because your memory can run 1066, doesn't mean your chipset can keep up with that kind of demand. But, thankfully you won't have to really worry about memory speeds that high and tight timings, since your AMD processor has the memory controller built into the CPU, so all that becomes a moot point.

Anyone else getting this?

I am running an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe with BIOS 1202 and am noticing that whatever memory timing you set for tRas, the actual value (as displayed by programs such as memset or cpuz) is 2 points less than what you asked for in bios. For instance if I set 5-5-5-18, the windows programs (and also memtest86+) show it as 5-5-5-16. What gives here, is this a bios glitch, is my tRas really at 16???

Thanks
Missed this earlier - I didn't get to browse much there for awhile.

Yes, I've got the exact same problem. Set my RAM to 4-4-4-12 but ended up at 4-4-4-10 and was lucky the system booted at that timing! Didn't last long as the RAM was unstable but it was long enough to verify the problem and fix it. A simple correction to set it at 14 in BIOS gave me the correct 12 on boot so everything is good ... :)

Yes, if you have all 4 memory banks filled, you are running in a dual channel configuration. However, just because your memory can run 1066, doesn't mean your chipset can keep up with that kind of demand. But, thankfully you won't have to really worry about memory speeds that high and tight timings, since your AMD processor has the memory controller built into the CPU, so all that becomes a moot point.

Sorry Dude I bought this board 2+ years ago it was supposed to be ASUS's Flag Ship.. I was running a 9850 Black with 4x2M of 1066 Patriot PC2-8500 the original Bios recognized as such newer bios flashs didnt. I ran the old bios up to 3 weeks ago with no probs. I upgraded to Phenom2 970x4 so I had to upgrade the bios to the handle the X2 now my memory is auto detecting at 400mhz and recognized at PC 6400 ? WT* ? I didnt spend all this money with ASUS for their advertized mem timing speeds for this .. my old setup ran faster ! with the 9850BE with slight OC.
Can someone tell me how to make the adjustments to make it run at least at 800 ? my mem settings are 5-5-5-15 I have tried everything and cant get past 533 mem speed. I can get 4.3 stable clock speeds but my memory is lagging me and its costing me valuable gaming time trying to figure this out. ASUS support I.E. manual are the absolute worst Ive ever seen.

:welcome: to OCF!

Sorry Dude I bought this board 2+ years ago it was supposed to be ASUS's Flag Ship.. I was running a 9850 Black with 4x2M of 1066 Patriot PC2-8500 the original Bios recognized as such newer bios flashs didnt. I ran the old bios up to 3 weeks ago with no probs. I upgraded to Phenom2 970x4 so I had to upgrade the bios to the handle the X2 now my memory is auto detecting at 400mhz and recognized at PC 6400 ? WT* ? I didnt spend all this money with ASUS for their advertized mem timing speeds for this .. my old setup ran faster ! with the 9850BE with slight OC.
Can someone tell me how to make the adjustments to make it run at least at 800 ? my mem settings are 5-5-5-15 I have tried everything and cant get past 533 mem speed. I can get 4.3 stable clock speeds but my memory is lagging me and its costing me valuable gaming time trying to figure this out. ASUS support I.E. manual are the absolute worst Ive ever seen.
Perhaps a screen shot of CPU-Z's CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs would make this more clear? I'm having trouble following your post.

You live in Texas? :p

Back