• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M3a32-MVP Deluxe, incompatible gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rukik

Registered
Good day everyone.

So I have been trying to get a newer tech vdo card to work in an older motherboard.

Video card: gigabyte windforce r9 290
MOBO: asus M3a32-MVP Deluxe
Psu: coolermaster watt man 750 watt

What I have tried.
-Bios update to newest for MOBO
-Newest bios for r9 290
-R9 290 works in other systems no problem ( rog crosshair 3, 4 and 7)
-tried the 290 card in all 4 pcie slots on m3a32mvp
-tried 4870x2, 5870, and 6990 in m3a32mvp and they work fine
-managed to get the card to post video 1 time after cmos battery and jumper reset. Went back to no post after loading default setting in bios and restarting. Tried the cmos reset again and now no post again.
-removed ram dimms
-Loaded the card in a second slot while using a working card in primary, hardware manager in windows recognises a video card in display adapter slot

Any suggestions what else to try?

Did you try both DVI and HDMI ports?
Perhaps the PSU is loaded to heavy on one of the rails. Do the other systems have a different PSU, or are you swapping boards with the same PSU.
I see you mention removing the system memory, the board won't post without it. Figure you put it back in (a reseat) though, but gotta say it anyways lol.

Yes I tried both hdmi and dvi-d connectors. Reseated ram, and verified vdo card on my main system. It's a single rail psu. I havn't yes tried a seperate psu. The current one runs a radeon 6990 on the m3a32mvp and it draws a lot more then the r9 290 does.

You need legacy support bios, if available, to run that card in your board.
Is there a switch on the vid card for legacy/UEFI?

Last edited:
There is a switch on the card. I though it was for quiet mode and oc mode. So if I flash a different vbios on the 290 it should work? Or are you referring to a mobo bios?

Allright, I will download and flash when I get home from work today and let you know if it works. Thanks!

On their site, how can you see which bios is a legacy? Isit just anyone that is not uefi?

I flashed the card, it took successfully. I installed the card back into the other system, and it worked. I installed drivers restarted and all seemed well. I shut the computer down but later when I restarted it, I am having the same no signal problems as before. Tested all pcie slots. Maybe I should look for another bios?

If it posted and booted to OS once, and you were able to load drivers, it ain't bios related.
Find a different driver and don't let windows update it automatically.

Ok so I need to disable windows update, and look for a legacy version of the drivers for the 290?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am searching for an older driver for the r9 290, i am running a legacy vbios, and when i install the adrenaline 2019 drivers its no good. I am in the process of removing the drivers again using secondary gpu, then i am going to attempt to boot with windows 10 basic drivers with out the net connected so it can not auto update. I just need to know around which area of time to get the CCC package for the legacy vbios

Update

So i have tried 3 other sets of drivers, i have 1 left to try. each time the same thing happens:

- Install backup gpu to run amd cleanup utility, goes into safe mode and completes
- shutdown computer install r9 290
- clear cmos (if i don't do this it doesn't work)
- boot and it goes into windows
- install different ccc package have tried most recent 19.xx.xx, 16.12.2, 14.xx.xx about to try 13.4
- installation completes with 0 errors
- restart computer and boots back into windows
- can do anything and it works perfectly, even ran furmark to put some load on the system
- restart again boots into windows and works
- shutdown wait 5 mins restart and no post or signal
- attempt cmos clear, nothing
- put backup gpu in and it boots to windows
- remove backup gpu, install r9 290, no signal
- start from the top and it is the same....

Im lost here

Does the Rx290 run normally in another system known to be working properly?

yes it works in my other 2 systems

i am going to conclude my psu is weak. need to try and get another one to test.

Last edited:
Back