• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M4A88TD-M help me get ram to 2000MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnus28

Registered
hey everyone, was wondering if anyone can help me OC my board to run my Ram at 2000MHz...

my board is ASUS M4A88TD-M
ram is GSkill PIS PC16000 (2000MHz O.C.) CL9 9-9-9-24 4GB

never overclocked anything before except my GPU.

please including FSB NB and other applicable voltages.

I understand I woul have to play with the voltages a little to make it stable 24/7, but I need to know settings that will at least get me close.

I don't expect to keep the same 9-9-9-24 timings @ 2000MHz, however I think something like 10-9-10-30 will run faster memory @2000MHz, as opposed to 9-9-9-24 @1800

thx!

:welcome: to OCF!

For gaiming, unless you're loading HUGE maps, you'd be MUCH better off lowering the speed to 1333 and tightening the timings instead of running the RAM fast and loose. I bet someone with an Intel system told you to do that. :p

You'd also gain more performance by OC'ing the CPU and cpuNB than the RAM. For performance the CPU speed is King, in a distant second is cpuNB speed, and in third, not far behind the cpuNB is RAM speed ...

-Because according to my research, and the computer experts agree that faster frequency means more speed and better performance than tighter timings.

Excerpt taken fro John.H. - The Component Guru

Lets Be Clear - Smaller Is Better!
Okay, it’s likely that I’ve thoroughly confused you by telling you that a lower number is faster, rather than what you thought was the fastest, and actually has the slowest timings. Let me clear this up! Going back to my explanation that the numbers measure the number of clock cycles it takes the memory to perform its tasks: Because the clock speeds of DDR3 are so much higher than DDR or even DDR2, it can complete each individual clock cycle A LOT faster. In other words, while it may take 9 cycles to do a task, that’s still a lot quicker than the 2 or 3 cycles it took the DDR memory to do the same task. Keep that in mind as you shop for memory. The timings only make a good comparison between modules if you are looking at two of the same types, i.e. two DDR3 modules, but are meaningless when comparing DDR to DDR2 or DDR3.

It's understandable that compairing ddr2 to ddr3 is like night and day, as far as gaming is concerned, 2000MHz will be much,much faster than 1333, or 1600 with super tight timings...

not looking to argue with anyone friend, just looking to oc my fsb to match 2000MHZ ram speed - not looking to lower my timings on a downclocked 1333 or 1600.

any and all help is appreciated ;-)

Could you at least settle for 1600mhz Cas 7? That is faster than most ram could ever dream of running. I'm seriously thinking of buying some Super Talent 2000mhz Cas 8 ram just to down clock to 1600mhz Cas 6. :drool:

[snip] just looking to oc my fsb to match 2000MHZ ram speed - not looking to lower my timings on a downclocked 1333 or 1600.

any and all help is appreciated ;-)
AMD hasn't had a "FSB" since 2004-5 so I"ll assume you mean the HTRef, which is the system reference clock.

The math is simple enough. The default rerefence clock is 200 MHz so you'll need a 250 MHz HTRef (200 MHz * 2000/1600) to get the RAM to 1000 MHz (DDR3-2000) with a RAM speed BIOS setting of 1600. To keep the cpuNB from being overclocked you will need to lower it's divider to 8X and the same for the HT Link, also 8X. Since all you're wanting to do is overclock the RAM, not the CPU, cpuNB, or HT Link, you shouldn't need any extra voltages for anything except RAM and maybe a slight bump in the cpuNB VID/VDD for balance.

Anything else - like the safe cpuNB VID/VDD voltage range and correct CPU multiplier to use to avoid overclocking - will require the CPU model number, which I don't seem to have but could have missed somewhere. ;)

Could you at least settle for 1600mhz Cas 7? That is faster than most ram could ever dream of running. I'm seriously thinking of buying some Super Talent 2000mhz Cas 8 ram just to down clock to 1600mhz Cas 6. :drool:
Well, Chance, I would agree with you but some people think RAM speed is the Holy Grail - usually Intel people. I make it a point to never discuss religion ... :cool:

Last edited:
Well, Chance, I would agree with you but some people think RAM speed is the Holy Grail - usually Intel people. I make it a point to never discuss religion ... :cool:

Well put! I'm not one of those guys. However according to those 3 links you put in your previous reply Ice, 2/3 threads showed the corsair ram clocked at 1600MHz won the test 90% of the time. in the other thread (gaming) it showed the 1600MHz ram with the 11-11-11-30 timings had more FPS,higher score, and faster processing times than the 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timing.

so I don't think those tests are reliable or accurate.

i'm no Guru, but I believe if I can get my ram to run what it's suppose to run at 2000MHz @ 9-9-9-24 it will be pretty fast!

Thanks for the solid advice Ice....

and I do want to overclock the CPU as well. G.Skill support said I would need a six core processor to take advantage of the faster frequency, nd I have a 1090T on order....

My plan is to get my Thuban up to 4.0GHz on Air, and 2000MHz for my G.Skill PIS ram. can I do both ICE? What's your suggestion?

Cooling is not an issue, I have a cooling rig that will make HAF-932 owners throw their case out the window!

Aerocool BX-500 Fulltower.
10 case fans

-1 120mm front intake (bottom front)
-4 120mm side fans
-2 140mm top exaust fans
-1 120mm rear exaust
-1 120mm bottom of case intake
-1 80mm motherboard back plate cooler

-Zalman CNPS10X Performer cpu cooler
-Turbulence ram cooler

i'll post more details in the case section

LOL, maybe someone with an older intel. New gen's have IMC as well and we play by the same rules. :rock:
I know that - and it's about time Intel got here! LOL!

But a LOT of information people collect on the Internet is from old articles and sometimes older views tend to hold even though they are no longer valid. It's like the persistence of the "FSB". Does the i-series FSB actually control RAM speed like the old 775LGA? Do they even have a "FSB"?
Well put! I'm not one of those guys. However according to those 3 links you put in your previous reply Ice, 2/3 threads showed the corsair ram clocked at 1600MHz won the test 90% of the time. in the other thread (gaming) it showed the 1600MHz ram with the 11-11-11-30 timings had more FPS,higher score, and faster processing times than the 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timing.
57.2 v 55.37
017_crysis.png

134.1 v 134.1
018_ut3.png

And in this one it's 1 FPS different, 135 v 136
019_word_in_conflict.png

No program/benchmark can "score" consistently - there are always errors, usually no more than 2% but often < 1%. The "conflicting" results shown are all well within that 1%. Even the further results shown on that page from the PCMark Vantage Suite are just a hair over 1%. What those results tell me is there's not enough of a difference to MAKE a difference.

But it's your system and playing with the BIOS is almost never a bad thing - but I wouldn't let RAM speed interfere with a CPU or cpuNB overclock. If 100 MHz of RAM (above 1333 with tight timings) cost's more than 20 MHz of CPU you're probably losing performance ... ;)

Last edited:
The goal Ice is to get the 1090t oc to 4.2

AND

the ram to 2000MHz with 9-9-9-24

OR

at least 1800MHz with a CAS of maybe 8??

what I need help with is overclocking CPU to 4.2, and at the same time getting ram 1800-2000 with decent timings...

4.2Ghz%20Prime95%20stable.png

show_oc.php

if this guy can get it 4.2, 4.4 on air, can't I do the same AND have my ram clocked 1800MHz+????

That's a lofty goal to have, but in all honesty it aint gonna happen. If it does I will be the first to congratulate you. But saying that you want to do something and that thing being possible are two different things. That ram speed is just not that important.

Get your OC up as much as you can and then see how high the ram will go. That's all that you can do. If it doesn't hit 2000 because you are on an AMD platform then what? Are you going to throw out your system because of a number?

Start with Dolk's Guide.

the reason I want the ram to run that fast Is because currently I have OCZ Platnium revison 2 ddr2 800MHZ that is running CAS 5, and it's slowwwww.

So I don't want to be anywhere near that speed even with tight timings.

I can dig up threads on GSKILL in which guys claim to get thei ram running @ 2000mhz with decent timings on AMD boards. So why can't i do that as well has have the processor run over 4GHz???

Just because AMD boards don't like running that fast doesn't mean that it can't happen. AMD has alot of world records, and a lot of first innovations.

I'll be happy to clock the ram to 1800 with lower latency than 9.

as long as i get my 1090t to run over 4GHz first

any suggestions ??

the reason I want the ram to run that fast Is because currently I have OCZ Platnium revison 2 ddr2 800MHZ that is running CAS 5, and it's slowwwww.

So I don't want to be anywhere near that speed even with tight timings.

I can dig up threads on GSKILL in which guys claim to get thei ram running @ 2000mhz with decent timings on AMD boards. So why can't i do that as well has have the processor run over 4GHz???

Just because AMD boards don't like running that fast doesn't mean that it can't happen. AMD has alot of world records, and a lot of first innovations.

I'll be happy to clock the ram to 1800 with lower latency than 9.

as long as i get my 1090t to run over 4GHz first

any suggestions ??
Here you go: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6531883#post6531883

Pay special attention to post #4 and note the RAM results at the end of #5 and beginning of #6 ... ;)

Last edited:
QuietIce, I think that you are saying that it is possible. Is that what I should be taking from that? It looks like the ram at 1867 with tighter timings beat the ram at 2000 speed. Correct?

i'm also getting that as well. Looks like 1800ish is key for best performance with low timings

Back