• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M5A97 and PSU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquaman78

My MSI motherboard finally gave up the ghost after giving me almost 3 years of service. 4 of the 6.3v caps bulged. :rolleyes: I have a new board and ram on the way and will continue using my Phenom II 955 BE. The new board has already been shipped by the egg and this evening I was reading more reviews on the board and just realized that it has an 8 pin CPU power socket whereas my 500w PSU only has a single 4 pin plug. I know that some boards will work just fine with just 4 wires, and I know that 4 wires is ample to power my CPU, even overclocked. My question is, will the M5A97 cooperate with just 4 wires? I know a lot of you guys are gonna say to get another PSU, but this Antec has had no issues running my system...I don't run an SLI setup or multiple hdds.

Last edited:
You should have no problems. Which Antec unit do you have?

PS: Your MSI board can be fixed. Check my sig for more information.

I considered recapping it, but couldn't find the motivation to do so. I was long overdue on switching to an AM3+ board, and this failure just gave me the incentive to do so. At least now I'll have a board with solid caps. I figured 4 pins powering the CPU would be sufficient since they powered it on the previous MB. Just wanted to make sure the Asus didn't have some odd current routing and throw a fit about not getting power from all of the leads. My PSU is an Antec Basiq 500w

Back