• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 bios update fail, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaizoku

Hello,

So I've recently purchased this board M5A97, it was set AHCI as default, so I thought that's the new standard, but it was lagging the system under heavy I/O. So I was reading that updating the BIOS might help. Following that advice, I went to the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility from the BIOS, because it claims to be the safest method. After it finished flashing, It rebooted, but screen won't appear. So I opened up my case and found out the fan on the graphics card is not spinning. I tried another card and still same problem. Can anyone advice me what to do? I rang up the retailer, he said to post on forums and ask for help before claiming warranty.

I think you are between a rock and a hard place. I think you're only option is to replace the board because your flashing seems to have corrupted the PCI-E subsystem and even if by some chance it might work you do not have on-board video as an alternative. I generally flash from a bootable floppy disc or from Windows and never had a problem.

Shutdown. REmove power from wall outlet to the power supply. Look in manual and find the Clear CmOs jumper or the Clear CmOs button. If jumper then jump to pins 2 and 3 for at least 5 mins. Then Rejumper to pins 1 and 2. REapply power from wall outlet to the power supply and try boot process to enter the bios.

If it is a Clear CmOs switch then I would Remove power from wall outlet and remove the battery from the motherboard making darn sure you remember battery orientation. Then push and hold Clear CmOs switch for 30 seconds. Then replace battery in correct orientation and REapply power from wall outlet to power supply and attempt to boot.

With either method as/if it starts to boot, I would use correct keyboard key to enter the bios and Load Optimized Defaults >> Save and Exit.

Edit: "trents" maybe exactly right but I would try what I said first and THEN you will know an RMA is in your future. End Edit.

Back