• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M5A97 - No Post after BIOS EZ flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techguy718

I needed to enable the NX bit on my CPU but I could not find it anywhere in the BIOS on my m5a97 mobo. I realized the option was probably missing because I was not running the latest BIOS version. I had 0705 and there were ROM files available for 0810, 0901, 1102, 1208, 1503, and 1605.

I download the latest version 1605 and put it on a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. Then I ran Asus EZ flash utility and selected the ROM file. I had a successful update and it said it will reset the computer and I hit ok. The computer restarts and now does not post.

I tried to reset the CMOS but this didn't work. Did this damn utility just fry my mobo? That would be a terrible pain. Please advice.

BIO's updates can be risky business but usually a necessary risk:(
i would try to use your "MemOK!" button on the board as well as the CMOS.
i have had to use it twice after updating bios with the new UEFI bios.

worst case you have to send it to asus for them to flash it for you but i would check your manual for any other features that board may have for bad bios flashing first.

I doubt that EzFlash dorked the board. In general you are n0t supposed to have to flash every bios going forward. Generally the last bios should include all the fixes of previous bios files.

BUT I have seen it better when there are many bios versions 'after' the one I am using, I will flash one midway to where I am going to the last one. Sometimes flashing forward 5 or so bios versions just does not sit well with the parts on the board and such a giant step forward in bios revisions.

Actually bioses are to be flashed with board in Default settings mode. Flashing with overclock settings are adjustments to ram can cause a problem after the bios flash. You would do well to turn off all power to the board. REmove the battery. Jumper the CMOS to the clear position. Put only a single stick of ram in the primary ram slot. REplace the battery. Put the CMOS jumper back on pins 1 and 2. REapply power to the mobo and see if it will boot. IF not it is time to contact the board makers RMA division.

Thanks for your replies. Resetting the battery and booting with just 1 RAM stick solved the problem then I put the RAM back in and everything is good. The update still didn't bring any NX setting to the BIOS though but that's whole other problem. Thank you!

Good desl on the booting okay again. Congrats on the sorting.

Thanks for your replies. Resetting the battery and booting with just 1 RAM stick solved the problem then I put the RAM back in and everything is good. The update still didn't bring any NX setting to the BIOS though but that's whole other problem. Thank you!

For what it's worth I thought that this board just defaulted to on no matter what. Does changing the SVM option help you at all? Just in case the option is missing, overclocking your processor on this board without using the voltage offset method causes the SVM option to automatically disappear.

Back