• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus m5a97 Pro and fx-8120 OC potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the long explanation Frakk.

Something strange is that if I set the LLC to extreme, the PC won't pass the splash screen: reboot...

And the heat...

Even with the loop that keeps my [email protected]/1.55v/45°C, it reaches 63°C with the [email protected]/1.48v

Can you you put up your BIOS screen shots?

Just plug a USB drive in when you boot and hit F12 while in BIOS, that will save screen shots of the BIOS to the drive.

^^^ I'll have to try this. I wouldn't mind getting 4.5GHz out of my chip. I also need to get around to reinstalling Windows since I replaced my mainboard and CPU.....

Can you you put up your BIOS screen shots?

Just plug a USB drive in when you boot and hit F12 while in BIOS, that will save screen shots of the BIOS to the drive.

Ah, didn't know that!
Thanks Frakk, I'll do it tonight when I put the FX back in the rig.

^Yep, I put my old PhII back in:D

Honestly, I didn't see any noticeable improvement between the [email protected] and the [email protected] (gaming, Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator...), except that I don't need a heating Lol.

It's on ebay and I hopefully have 2 more days to play with!

I keep the board though: very nice one, and it is PD ready.

^Yep, I put my old PhII back in:D

Honestly, I didn't see any noticeable improvement between the [email protected] and the [email protected] (gaming, Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator...), except that I don't need a heating Lol.

It's on ebay and I hopefully have 2 more days to play with!

I keep the board though: very nice one, and it is PD ready.

Yeah its unfortunate that for most things BD is a step down from Thuban, there are a few things where it monsters the Thuban and even beats SB convincingly, but those aspects are few and hardly ever used day to day.

I have a constant upgrade itch but everyother day i'm reminded why i should stick with what i have.

No matter, IB is out soon and PD is not far behind. hopefully this time AMD can hold a candle to Intel and i wont need to get a new MOBO, i also like this MOBO a lot.
I'm bored stiff with ASUS because i have been using them for many years, but in my mind nothing else can match them.

Asrock is very good now.

I had a z68 Fatality with my 2600k: great board!

Asrock is very good now.

I had a z68 Fatality with my 2600k: great board!

Actually yeah your right, my own interest in ASRock has been reinvigorated...

I did have one of there first high end boards (socket 940 with an Athlon XP 3800+) My first AMD after my P4 HT disaster...... and it was a good board but after that the quality of them tailed off, it seems to be picking up again.

Yeah its unfortunate that for most things BD is a step down from Thuban, there are a few things where it monsters the Thuban and even beats SB convincingly, but those aspects are few and hardly ever used day to day.

I have a constant upgrade itch but everyother day i'm reminded why i should stick with what i have.

No matter, IB is out soon and PD is not far behind. hopefully this time AMD can hold a candle to Intel and i wont need to get a new MOBO, i also like this MOBO a lot.
I'm bored stiff with ASUS because i have been using them for many years, but in my mind nothing else can match them.

From what I've seen performance of IB is excellent however it has significant heat issues due to an immature 22nm tri gate mfg tech. Looks like these can't be pushed as far as the current SB chips. If PD delivers a 10-12% IPC gain as indicated by AMD, as well as clocks through the roof thanks to 28nm process shrink w/ resonant clock mesh then AMD may be able to catch up to the performance crown for a time.

If Intel manages to sort out their current process tech woes on the other hand then this may not remain the case for long. :-/

AMD just needs Intel to stumble for long enough that they can catch up and remain competitive.

I might grab a Thuban as soon as the FX is sold.

I don't notice a difference most of the time. I'd wait for PD if I were you. IPC improvements + raw clock speed should beat Thuban hands down

I don't notice a difference most of the time. I'd wait for PD if I were you. IPC improvements + raw clock speed should beat Thuban hands down

Well, the board is there anyway. It's a nice one. I might follow your advice.

Yes i agree, Your Deb is just the same as Thuban just with less cores, there isn't much that will use all 6 cores. its more about multitasking, i mean how many CPU intensive APP's do you run all at once?

Save your money for PD if your keeping that MOBO.

Back