• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 - Speed variant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellohappy22

Registered
Hi guys,

I recently got my stable OC at 4.4GHz.

Now I don't want to always run at 4.4Ghz. Any ideas on how to have it sitting lower and boost up hen needed?

I don't have cool n quite on my board, I have C6, AMP power management and HSF or something along these lines! Any ideas please help!

Cheers

The Cool 'n' Quiet option isn't available under the Advanced--> CPU Configuration menu, along w/ the C1E and SVM options? What's the current UEFI revision?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 429
With the latest BIOS for my M5A97 the moment I overclock those options disappear and appear to be turned off when they do.

So you may be SOL for turning them back on atm if you want to OC.

The Cool 'n' Quiet option isn't available under the Advanced--> CPU Configuration menu, along w/ the C1E and SVM options? What's the current UEFI revision?

Hi I don't, I have the latest BIOS 1605, and dose not have them options which is upsetting I only have AMP, C1 and HMP or something.... Very upsetting

With the latest BIOS for my M5A97 the moment I overclock those options disappear and appear to be turned off when they do.

Ah alright, so is there anyways to get them on?

Also what i SOL, sorry i'm a little slow!

Ah alright, so is there anyways to get them on?

Also what i SOL, sorry i'm a little slow!

SOL = Somewhat Out of Luck.

Wish you peeps would post enough info about your system. Win7 go into Power Modes section and set to 'balanced' and then see if the cpu throttles down at idle. Many find that disabling C1E, APM, Cool N Quiet etc will not stop windows from throttling back cpu Mhz at idle, unless Windows power mode is set to 'performance'. So perhaps setting 'balanced' with bios showing them Off will still allow for the throttle back.

Thanks, Sorry I id not post much on my system as its in my signature. Still doesn't work just a shame when I OC I lose the CnQ options. But doesn't seem there is any way around it.

Cheers

I don't have that board. My Asus CHV allows for throttle back when not loading the CPU. 4.5Ghz back to about 1400Mhz depending on the percentage of throttle back I choose in windows power management.

Not sure what is the deal with that cheaper Asus mobo. Maybe they don't feel the VRM circuit is quick enough to overclock but still throttle back and then jump back to WFO when needed.

I found this link where M5A97 acted like yours until he changed the way in which Vcore was controlled. It might be a work-around.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1234701/asus-m5a97-bios-missing-coolnquiet-c1-options

My M5a88 behaves much the same. What I can do is before making the settings to overclock be sure the setting for C&Q is ON and reboot...then overclock. Once it's set it stays set. If it was OFF then it would also stay OFF when changed to use overclocking.

I don't have a UEFI BIOS though, that may make a difference.

I just went with what RGone found to make sure it all works out. Using offset mode leaves C&Q etc. open to be turned off/on. For what it's worth the difference in power consumption between letting my processor fall to 1Ghz at idle and just leaving it at 3.6Ghz is ~15 watts. The only annoyance I found with my setup was that after I removed my settings and restarted it showed my processor as 1.404V(the default turbo core voltage) but the positive offset setting was adding to the factory 1.35V causing my first boot to fail and Windows 8 to help itself to removing my wireless drivers :D.

This is great!, I have it working. Now I will feel safe to go to 4.6 ghz so t wont be running 24/7.

Cheers

Back