• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 SATA ports and RAID10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCapedAvenger

Registered
i have an m5a99fx pro and was looking through the user guide before i put it in and it was saying i cant use the asmedia sata ports for anything other than HDD's. i want to have my ssd running windows and my 4 hdd's in raid 10 for data but my optical drives wont go on the asmedia ports (i heard hints that they can so i dont know anymore). i would like to run the ssd and hdd's all on the 5 "normal" sata ports and my optical drives on the 2 asmedia ports. can i do this or do i have to run the opticals in the normal ports and 2 of the hdd's in the asmedia and if so can i still raid10 with hdd's on different sata port types? if this doesnt work is the only alternative getting a raid controller card for the pcie? thanks for any help.

can i still raid10 with hdd's on different sata port types? = That one is pretty easy to answer since the answer is surely NO. Asmedia controller chipset will not interface with any form of raid and the SB 950 chipset.

Have to do some further looking about the opticals on the asmedia. I don't see why not at first glance though.
RGone...

EDIT:
Downloaded the English manual for the M5A99FX_PRO_R2.0.

From Downloaded English Manual for M5A99FX_PRO_R2.0.
Page #1-29 (pg43) ATAPI device not supported on ASMedia SATA Connectors. For Data Drives only.

Page #3-19 (pg91) SATA Port #5 and eSata port maybe set to IDE with ports 1 thru 4 set to AHCI or RAID and this will allow Sata Port #5 and the eSata port to be used for ATAPI/Optical drives to install an operating system.

As for the question of ASMedia working with ATAPI/OPTICAL drives, I still think optical drives will work from the ASMedia controller but do not know that you can use them when *installing* the operating system since am not sure they will be recognized during windows installation. You will have to test that out for yourself. I think ASMedia might work when booted into an operating system so drivers for ASMedia controller are installed and then could have optical drives used.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
The asmedia ports will work for Optical drives, I've done it with my Sabertooth which has thw same layout. Just set the Asmedia ports to IDE in the BIOS, they can be set seperately from the SB950 ports. Just be prpared for the longer startup time with the raid and Asmedia recognition and initialization.

asmedia.JPG

can i still raid10 with hdd's on different sata port types? = That one is pretty easy to answer since the answer is surely NO. Asmedia controller chipset will not interface with any form of raid and the SB 950 chipset.

ok, didnt think so. never even heard about different types of sata ports (apart from I, II, and III) so i thought i would verify.

From Downloaded English Manual for M5A99FX_PRO_R2.0.
Page #1-29 (pg43) ATAPI device not supported on ASMedia SATA Connectors. For Data Drives only.

saw this but also heard bits here and there that they would

As for the question of ASMedia working with ATAPI/OPTICAL drives, I still think optical drives will work from the ASMedia controller but do not know that you can use them when *installing* the operating system since am not sure they will be recognized during windows installation. You will have to test that out for yourself. I think ASMedia might work when booted into an operating system so drivers for ASMedia controller are installed and then could have optical drives used.

so i just need to use my optical on it when setting up my ssd with os and then switch it to the asmedia port?

will my ssd run on port #5 set to ide with ports 1-4 set to raid for my WD black drives in raid 10 and then my 2 optical drives on the asmedia ports?

Last edited:
i read on the a site about the mobo that one of the sata ports supports hot swap but it didnt say which one. didnt see it in the book anywhere either. do any of you know which? im thinking #5 (the odd ball out) but i dont know for sure. it would be nice to plug my case's external port (rosewill blackhawk case) into it to use it as hot swap rather than shut down every time.

1. Bios version makes a difference. The used to have a menu setting that said >> Enable Hot-Swap.

2. Now it seems the menu setting only says enable ESP and is said that should
do the same thing as Enable Hot-swap.

3. The standard M$ HDD driver will not allow hot swapping, but must be the AMD
driver for that chipset.

4. I have not looked in my CHV bios which is likely just slightly different but there is
also a drive/port combining mode that must be Disabled so you can pick that odd
drive out that you want to enable ESP on for hot-swap.
RGone...ster.

will my ssd run on port #5 set to ide with ports 1-4 set to raid for my WD black drives in raid 10 and then my 2 optical drives on the asmedia ports?

I would hook up only the 4 drives you want for the raid in ports 2-5, #1 should be reserved for OS. Use the Utility to create your array. Then Hook up SSD to port 1 install windows, you may want to install the AMD Raid drivers during OS install leaving your opticals on the asmedia ports set to ide. If you don't set it to IDE you'll have difficulty with those ODDs. I did a raid with OS and a raid 0 on the SB950 with the asmedia for my ODD it works.

ok ill give all that a try and report back. thanks guys.

RGone: whenever i read your name i think of the noble gas argon every time.

Last edited:
Oh now you've done it you called him Noble, I think his EGO is big enough. :rofl:

well i got the os installed and am working on drivers atm. still need to set up the raid but from what i see only ports 1-4 work with a raid and the 5th port has to be set to ide in that case. in the bios the only way i could get the hot swap was with them all set to AHCI (but cant do a raid like that).

so the way i see it is i have to have my ssd (OS drive) on port 5 or on my SATA II PCI controller card (not going to do that) so port 5 is now taken. next is see that i can only have my raid and no hot swap, OR no raid, have individual discs, but have my hot swap. i think i heard someone say somewhere that i can chose to not include individual discs in the raid? so set up the raid and say "i dont want my external bay included"? didnt see a setting for that anywhere (or may have been worded different). i managed to get the opticals on the asmedia ports just fine but i cant find any settings in the bios for them. first ASUS mobo so it all looks foreign to me. thanks for the help.

Oh now you've done it you called him Noble, I think his EGO is big enough. :rofl:

Well the reason they're called the "Noble" gasses is because they don't do anything.

This is true. They all have a full outer electron shell so chemically are pretty inert. Hence chemists who are funny people, called them the Noble Gases. It's the rest of the Periodic Table that actually gets stuff done. ;)

so what i currently have setup is SSD (OS) on sata port 5, optical drives on both asmedia ports (turned out to work just fine), and my HDD's (currently just 2 but have other 2 in the mail on the way) on ports 1 and 2 (others 3 and 4 when they arrive) in raid 1 setup by windows.

what i would like to do is a raid 10 with the mobo but i couldnt figure anything out after hours of messing around (after the first hour i messed up something and spent the next 5 trying to get windows installed again... long story) so gave up and went with windows raid. durring the whole ordeal i read that the mobo raid has a little better performance than windows but to do that i would have to set the ssd to ide (which has much lower performance??) or raid and exclude it from the group (dont know how to or know performance issues if any).

so, does the mobo raid have that much better performance (if you can give numbers that would be great), and how would i get the ssd to work right if i do do it that way (really dont want to install the os again)?

Amen! The trick is to beat the little woman to the punch when you release methane. Quickly say, "Honey, did you do that?" with a contorted look on your face.

It's not that both sexes don't fart. It's just that yours is the only one that regards it as an achievement.

so what i currently have setup is SSD (OS) on sata port 5, optical drives on both asmedia ports (turned out to work just fine), and my HDD's (currently just 2 but have other 2 in the mail on the way) on ports 1 and 2 (others 3 and 4 when they arrive) in raid 1 setup by windows.

what i would like to do is a raid 10 with the mobo but i couldnt figure anything out after hours of messing around (after the first hour i messed up something and spent the next 5 trying to get windows installed again... long story) so gave up and went with windows raid. durring the whole ordeal i read that the mobo raid has a little better performance than windows but to do that i would have to set the ssd to ide (which has much lower performance??) or raid and exclude it from the group (dont know how to or know performance issues if any).

so, does the mobo raid have that much better performance (if you can give numbers that would be great), and how would i get the ssd to work right if i do do it that way (really dont want to install the os again)?

I don't have my own numbers, but I have someone else's if you're interested: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=429

The thing to realize, is that whilst there is a large difference (I would hope!) between real hardware RAID and OS RAID, the in-built RAID on your motherboard is a long way from being proper hardware RAID. It's commonly called "Fake RAID" for this reason. It's not actually distinct from the OS. It relies on drivers in the OS that are pretty much actual RAID implementations in software. According to the link above, they can actually use more CPU power than the software RAID built into the OS. It's a shame the author didn't include a GNU/Linux software RAID, it would be interesting to see how it compares.

Anyway, I personally do not care for Fake RAID. Given that the gains range from marginal to non-existent (or even detrimental in the testing above), I've preferred to just keep things clean and do it in Windows. It's possible that there are or will be motherboards with more professional RAID built in, but the ones I'm aware of have always been extremely weak.

One thing that is worth bringing up, although it's not your question, is Storage Spaces in Windows 8 / Server 2012. Windows 8 still supports just opening Disk Management and creating "Dynamic Disks" so its easy to miss that this approach is semi-deprecated. Assuming you have Windows 8, what you should do is create some Storage Spaces. This lets you create your RAID 10 which the old method doesn't do (so far as I'm aware).

As is typical with MS, they've invented their own "simpler" terminology, but once you get your head around it, it's fine. What you want to do is create a mirrored storage space with multiple columns. The degree of mirroring is how many copies you have and the number of columns is how many sets the data is striped across. So if you have four disks, you can create a storage space with a 2-way mirror and two columns, and that's your basic four-disk RAID 10. I.e. your data striped across two disks and then both those mirrored on two more. I'll see if I can dig out the article I read on performance of Storage Spaces. Pretty decent if I recall. (Not comparable to hardware RAID, but I seriously doubt it is worse than the Fake RAID you get on motherboards). Very easy to manage as well and its the focus of MS's performance improvements going forward.

Back