• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Matrix is a joke OC'er

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

/rant begin

I RMA'ed my last ASUS Matrix because it wouldn't get 890mhz stable even at 1.15v! That's a joke, someone once said it could have "to much voltage" well you bring the voltage down and the artifacts get worse, bring the clocks up and it will crash.

2 cards in a row and they won't go past 890mhz without throwing up artifacts like it just came from a frat party on friday night, they shouldn't sit there and advertised this card as something special when it's a edited reference designed with heat issues after 1.1v, even with this "amazing cooler" this is my first real Nvidia card and it runs hot compared to AMD, my 5970 which is a dual-gpu, 1.15v on both chips overclocked to 850mhz only needs 50-60% fan speed on the stock reference cooler to stay under 70C with zip artifacts/crashes.

Yes, yes i can compare this to AMD because i can compare % of an overclock with a barely 8% overclock i run into a voltage wall that can't be passed, where-as the 6970 my wife has and the 5970 i have mining are 14-15% overclocked respectively and not producing ridiculous amounts of heat, in fact i have had the 5970 up to 920mhz before i saw any issues and it was under a LOT of stress, more than any game would put it under.

There are some cheaper cards out there that can achieve higher overclocks with less voltage, it has nothing to do with "cherry picked cores" this is plain and simple marketing gimmick i wouldn't recommend the matrix to any extreme overclocker, as you can tell my temps are fantastic on the entire board, heat isn't the issue, voltage isn't the issue, it's just crappy marketing techniques that people need to be warned about, i don't want to hear this "every chip is different" excuse either - don't charge me $40 more dollars if this isn't a tested and tried "cherry" core like they claim it to be.

This is a fair warning to the people who are thinking of buying it, if you want to to risk your $540 go right ahead but you don't come back from 15% restocking fee's and shipping charges 3 times with a smile, with that said, both cards ended up with a sweet spot of 880mhz, what.. a.. joke, i'd rather have saved the $40-$50 and stayed with a 2 slot not-so-hyped-about-fake-performance-gains, stock clock card, to bad i have already lost so much money with these.

Someone else mentioned 100% fan speed, well that makes no difference either, and besides that, if it can't hit 63C without artifacts then it needs to be a bargain bin chip to begin with not a premium price, furthermore, normal people don't play there games with hair dryers in the background.

/rant end

Incase you can't see, those tests are loaded with artifacts

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Additionally:

Returning back to stock, artifacts!

what do you want to blame? The drivers, don't bother, i uninstalled them using driver sweeper in safe mode already and reinstalled, this is the reason i stopped buying Nvidia 8 years ago :facepalm:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 286
BTW they only hit 883mhz

They "said" they did that with stock votlages "The overclocks listed in this section were achieved with the default fan and voltage settings as defined in the VGA BIOS." Meaning there maximum OC with 1.15v is likely closer to 950+, considering they stated with the extra oltage on the hardware they forcasted reaching 1000mhz, i can barely get over 900, i strongly believe the review sites floating around are garbage/fake/ or paid to say something ASUS/Nvidia told them to sell the cards/chips, after buying exact marks of many sites and never reaching there clocks, despite following there guides and RMA'ing enough stuff to get funny looks because it was over nothing, i'm inclined to believe this statement to be true. Several of them have already been fried about benchmark results, only a 6 month difference and they promoted Nvidia 500 series cards having 10-12 FPS leads, when in reality looking back they lowered the 6000's FPS results, that and many will throw you off buy comparing card with inferior CPU set ups versus each other, i don't even go to these wortless review sites anymore, they cannot be trusted. I have a hard time believeing they had 883mhz stable on stock voltage, anyone who owns this card or really any GTX 580 will call BS in a minute.

I want to see who got 883mhz on stock voltage 100% stable.

Last edited:
Why stock voltage?

Im sure I can find somethin for ya

;)

The review site you posted said they achieved 883mhz on stock voltage and fan settings, i can't get past 830mhz on stock voltage, i can understand if someone else got 840 or 850 on the high side before voltage increase, but when it takes me the max voltage to get what they are claiming they got at stock voltage, i think that's a out right lie.

My next trick is to re-install windows, maybe something got currupted, looking at GPU-Z it's saying this card doesn't have PhysX available, and my "Safe Mode" does not work on the card, so something isn't right that got screwed up somewhere other than drivers, atleast i hope so.

Attachments

• GPUz.gif
    GPUz.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
This is a duplicate of your other thread about this card. I, and others already mentioned that every card is different as far as overclocking goes. A GPU manufacturer only guarantees it works at stock speeds. I as well posted some average overclocks that you seemed to have achieved but it was seemingly dismissed.

Im not sure what to say my man. Sorry you got one average overclocker and one bunk overclocker though.

Your first one hit 940 core... thats not bad at all!!:
well this seems to be the most i can get out of this card, 1.15v 940mhz core, 4800mhz memory, max temp 72C.

looking at GPU-Z it's saying this card doesn't have PhysX available, and my "Safe Mode" does not work on the card, so something isn't right that got screwed up somewhere other than drivers, atleast i hope so.
Try enabling it for the card in the NVCP first. You likely have it on CPU/Auto. :thup:

EDIT: Did you RMA the first card b/c it didnt overclock as well as you hoped??

Last edited:
This is a duplicate of your other thread about this card. I, and others already mentioned that every card is different as far as overclocking goes. A GPU manufacturer only guarantees it works at stock speeds. I as well posted some average overclocks that you seemed to have achieved but it was seemingly dismissed.

Im not sure what to say my man. Sorry you got one average overclocker and one bunk overclocker though.

EDIT: DId you RMA the first card b/c it didnt overclock well?

Different card, different thread, different results. The last card i RMA'd because it gave the same issue i stated above, artifacts at all stock settings, now this one is following the same suite, al though, the other card actually ran hotter than this one. So to separate confusion, i made a separate thread, rather than people blazing through the other one and then i have to get more irritated about the situation because people don't read.

And yes, they do actually guarantee you a performance headroom

Taken straight from ASUS's site:

19-phase Super Alloy Power – Efficient power delivery! Built with exclusive 19-phase Super Alloy Power technology, the MATRIX GTX 580 guarantees much greater overclocking headroom, with a 15% performance boost, 2.5 times longer lifespan and 35°C cooler operation than the reference card design.

I'm starting to think what i said above about GPUz is what my issue is coming from, but i think that should have been a driver fix. I did try to enable it for the GTX 580, it still has PhysX off, and that doesn't fix my Safe mode being disabled on the card, which i need very badly atm.

Much greater compared to what, reference? Do you know what reference cards overclock to on average? I dont. Thats marketing hype man... Hook, line, sinker.

THe only thing I see wrong with these cards is the artifacting. That shouldnt be happening. :(

Much greater compared to what, reference? Do you know what reference cards overclock to on average? I dont. Thats marketing hype man... Hook, line, sinker.

THe only thing I see wrong with these cards is the artifacting. That shouldnt be happening. :(

atleast not at stock, and yeah i bought into that marketing, from what i can tell most reference cards can achieve 860~880mhz on the crappy side, so 15% more than that would be unbelievable considering what iv'e witnessed, but a guarantee isn't what i typically call hype, i see it being as different as telling the truth and giving an opinion, i would have been happy with 900 mhz, until today when it gave me artifacts while playing a game, i mean it looked like a disco, that's when everything went hay-wire, it was sudden. After returning to stocks, i figured i'd start over, it did perfectly fine at stock, once i started getting into the 880-890 range, i was running out of voltage to get rid of artifacts, and then it crashed the driver on me, and nothing got rid of those artifacts. I started to notice a problem when it took a whole .1v to get 10mhz stable.

Update: i'm about half way through a clean install of Windows 7, i'll see where it takes me.

Last edited:
Ok, installed fresh windows, stock clocks, installed drivers, ran endless city and got instant artifacts, dead card. at this point i just want my money back, i had to PAY to try a Nvidia card, time to go back to trusted sources.

What are the temps when it artifacts?
Any card will artifact at stock if it gets hot enough...
Also what's up with your gpuz default core clock?

Hmm that doesnt make much sense.

GPUz still showing default core clock at 940mhz?

no, the Matrix gives you the ability to flash the BIOS, so the default doesn't really matter, for the sake of it i flashed it back to stock, it persists despite the revert, and my Safe Mode button still isn't working.

From my understanding you're supposed to push it in during the entire windows boot up, but it's not working, i was pretty sure it was lit up green before too, which now it isn't.

EDIT: You have to completely shutdown and hold it, which fixed it, no artifacts now, that's just strange, i'm afraid to even OC this thing now

Attachments

• gpuz2.gif
    gpuz2.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Yeah, that is prett terrible overclocking right there. My reference 580 was able to do 935/1005 (didn't mess with the memory much) through Heaven with no artifacts. If it is artifacting while running at stock though you should be able to RMA the card without any cost to you.

Yeah sounds like you got a bum cards, pretty weird that you would have such bad luck. After some fiddling and testing I found my Matrix to do 960/4700 stable @ 1.15v, would bench a bit higher.

As I mentioned in the other thread, most people are extremely happy with their 580 Matrix cards. I don't mean to point fingers, but with two cards in a row that do it, maybe it's user error...

Aside from that, the only thing I can tell you is that "Not all chips can overclock. Asus bins the gpu cores to run at stock clocks. NOT to run past stock clocks."

Back