• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus III Formula max memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Collider

Hi guys! I'm a hungarian, so sorry for my engish.

I bought a maximus III. I have a Xeon X3480 cpu and 4x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9 ram. I would upgrade my memory to 16GB. I want fast memory, but I don't know what type is the maximum for this board. For example can I put 4x4 1600Mhz or 4x4 1866Mhz? My dream is 2x8 cl9/2133Mhz but I know it's impossible.

Please help.

From asus site
4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Please refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors List).

Thanks for the reply.

I know, but the manual says:

"Due to intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

My question is what the experience is about. 16GB RAM can only be from 1333MHz modules or is it possible to have a higher speed? I know it depends on the memory controller too. I can not accept that I have an OC mobo and I can not put 16GB of faster rams than 1333MHz.

1600 should work fine . It will have a divider after that you will need to over clock . Higher ram might work out of the box .

Back