• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus VI Hero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

melndream

Thanks to Overclockers community for giving me an opportunity to be part of this group and more power!

I guess it would be to early to ask something but i believe the community were full of experts about hardware matter problems i am thru right now.

I've bought ant ASUS Maximus VI Hero together with two ASUS GTX660 DCII for SLI reason. After the OS install (Win7 Ultimate x64), motherboard drivers and videocard drivers, i found it confusing that the SLI configuration on the NVIDIA control panel is disabled or grayed out. I've been visiting the advanced BIOS configuration for quite so many times trying to configure every possible combinations on the NB PCIe settings but nothings seems to solved the problem.

I've done this SLI configuration about 5 months ago with ASUS Maximus V Gene with two ASUS GTX560 Ti and i haven't encountered any issue with my SLI settings. I guess i did miss something and hopefully anyone would enlighten me :) tnx in advanced for any help you can give me :)

I'm not trying to be mean, I just have to ask because I forgot it once... Did you connect the two cards with the SLI bridge?

Yeah I did ChanceCoats123, thanks for the reply.
An article on one site :

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-Maximus-VI-HERO-Motherboard/1780/2

that i've read "if more that one video card will be installed, you must attach a SATA power supply to the motherboard, this connector is located near the SATA ports" and unfortunately i go over the mobo and just can't find that SATA power supply port he's pointing to.

Does it mean that you can't use the bottom two SATA ports at the same time as using all of the PCIe lanes for the graphics cards? The bottom two SATA 6G ports may well use PCIe lanes as the chipset only supports 6 (the top 6).

Obviously the graphics cards need to be in the red PCI slots. I would remove any SATA cables from the bottom two ports and any other PCI devices and see if that makes any difference.

Try reversing the SLI bridge. Try using it on the right hand set of gold fingers and the left. Try a different bridge if you have one?

What displays do you have plugged in to the graphics cards. I would just plug in one single display to start with and try it in both cards as in SLI they run as 'master' and 'slave' cards.

If all of that failed I would update the BIOS and if that failed return the board.

The only time i've ever had SLI fail was down to a broken PCIe slot. You can test that by first trying each graphics card in one slot, providing they both work fine then use the power connectors from the other graphics card and if that works fine try the other slot. You must eliminate that both graphics cards and sets of power cables are working properly.

A few things to try anyway, JR.

The manual makes no mention of the sata power connection on the motherboard. Generally ASUS has used molex connectors for extra PCIE power not SATA in the past, and those are completely optional and really only needed for extreme overclocking. You can see two on the maximus iv extreme here:
M4E-2D_x.jpg

Back