• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus maximus vii hero bios for 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliox

Registered
hi guys, i just bougth a maximus vii hero mobo i only waiting for it to arrive along with a intel core i7 4790k. People tell me i have to update the bios on the mobo to support the cpu because it come with the bios version 0401 and for the 4790k it needs 0609, but others tell since i just bought it and most likely is made recently after the 4790k was released, it will come with newer bios version so i dont have to update.

i just want to know if there is any way to know the bios version from the start, does it have it writen on the board or the box or that manual, some place like that to know if i have to updated or not before i build anything, ill appreciate any info you can give me?

No way to tell the BIOS version (that I know of) unless you boot the system and check.

I see you already bought it so just try to run the setup. If you get 00 code on the diagnostic display or it won't boot at all then you need new BIOS. If you make it run then you don't need it but it's still recommended to use new version.
ASRock is using small stickers on BIOS chips with the shipped version but I don't remember I've seen anything like that on ASUS boards.

ASUS can be flashed even if CPU is not supported because of too old BIOS so don't worry, in worst case you will have to try recovery flash ( info in the board's manual or just ask on the forums ).

I think that problems with booting were almost only on Pentium G3258, not on i5/i7 4690/4790K as they're about the same as 4570/4770K. At least I had no problems with 4790K on Z87 and Z97 boards with older BIOSes.

Back