• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus X VRM temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Der Kommandant

Registered
I'm starting to OC my new rig and trying to find a 5Ghz OC for my 8700k.

While doing a Prime95 torture to see if CPU was stable (1.30v, 5Ghz, AVX-1, et al) noticed somthing that shocked me: VRM temp in HWmonitor was indicating a toasty 85ºC but a quick check with thermometer told me that heatsink was lukewarm. Finger touch told me the same.

OK. I was pulling almost 200W for the CPU and VRM's should be quite warm (expected temp) but... the unexpected was the heatsink temps (29ºC).

Well... I know that shouldn't be a problem but... deciding to solve that small detail at least improving the thermal transfer to heatsinks.

Anyone changed thermal pads for VRM's on his Maximus X Hero? Which ones? Which thickness 1.0 or 1.5mm? I'm overreacting?

At my local shop have Thermal grizzly and Alphacool.

TIA.

VRMtemp.png

The VRM safe operation is 120c, TJ maximum is 150c. I have been running mine 95c 24 hours at a time for 2 years no worries.:)

Power MOSFET for your motherboard Infineon 50A rated Optimos (BSG0812ND) 150c TJmax.

I contacted Infineon

Infineon Technologies
Normally the reliability tests are done at Tjmax, that means device can work at Tjmax for long period. But to use part at worst case is not reasonable,
usually about 20% margin must be considered.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the answer.

So looks like that isn't really needed to improve thermal contact with MOSFETs there and is only somewhat bling bling the heatsinks there.

That screencapture was on a Prime95 session and it taxes a lot the CPU and Mosfets. Checked it after it hoovers between 50 and 65ºC.

I don't think it's real temp if you can touch it. I wouldn't worry about VRM temps. As wingman said, it should run without issues up to 120°C. Even then PC will freeze before anything will break.
Other thing is that on many new motherboards I see wrong temp readings. Some boards had 120°C+ VRM temps without any load. I guess it's some issue with new BIOS as many new versions were released too fast ( recent security issues, new CPU microcodes etc. ).

I don't think it's real temp if you can touch it. I wouldn't worry about VRM temps. As wingman said, it should run without issues up to 120°C. Even then PC will freeze before anything will break.
Other thing is that on many new motherboards I see wrong temp readings. Some boards had 120°C+ VRM temps without any load. I guess it's some issue with new BIOS as many new versions were released too fast ( recent security issues, new CPU microcodes etc. ).

Well... when I made the Screenshot I was terrifying the CPU with a considerable load (OC'ed to 5Ghz with AVX -1 or -2) with Prime to check stability and lowering voltage (HWinfo stated about 200w of CPU power)... that made me to believe that VRM temp was real and heatsinks were doing nothing.

Last edited:
Even if it's real temp then 85°C is not really hot considering that all was under full load.

Install a 40mm fan over the vrms with the Asus MOS fan mount that came with your board.

Ok. Thanks for the answer.

So looks like that isn't really needed to improve thermal contact with MOSFETs there and is only somewhat bling bling the heatsinks there.

That screencapture was on a Prime95 session and it taxes a lot the CPU and Mosfets. Checked it after it hoovers between 50 and 65ºC.
With my VRM at 95c the VRM heatsink is 50 to 53c under full load with overclocking and I also used Infrared Thermometer. Heatsinks will run much cooler than the MOSFETS were the Tj VRM (temperature junction) is read or temperature sensor is next to a MOSFET. The heat sink dissipate more heat with increased surface area. Do to aluminum thermal conductivity rate they run cooler than the MOSFET. The stock thermal pads work well, they have high conductivity rate, material is often paraffin wax or silicone based.

Thanks for the answers.

My fear was the TIM wasn't up to the task with such difference in temps between the MOSFET and heasink (took a Fluke 53-II for a quick test). Max temp with surface sensor attached was 35.2ºC and HWINFO was indicating 81ºC on MOSFETS.

In the past I needed to deal with sh*tty TIM on VRM heatsinks (mainboards and graphics cards) and that was my main concern with this mainboard. Just seemed (to me) so unsual difference between two components.

It would be intresting to see if the 3M™ Thermally Conductive Silicone Interface Pad 5519 would do better than the stock pad. Don't use paste on the MOSFETS.

Last edited:
Maximus X Hero VRM Temp Monitoring

Der Kommandant you are the first person I have found that can monitor VRM temps on an Asus Maximus X Hero board that has posted a screen shot to prove it. My Hero WIFI does not report VRM temps, and neither does just about anyone else's (who I know of). The reason (according to the authors of AIDA and HWINFO) is that the boards used to report VRM temp (as advertised) but a revision was done and a component was changed in the VRM section that resulted in no ability to monitor VRM temps. On my Hero WIFI, VRM temps are not reported, at least with BIOS 0802 or 1003. I Googled reviews on these boards and looked at BIOS screen dumps from 6 different reviewers. NONE of them showed VRM temp in the BIOS (or anywhere else). Curiously, none of the reviewers even mentioned it. Asus web site clearly shows a little thermometer over the VRM section, indicating it can be monitored.

If you are seeing VRM temp reported through the EC buss, you are one of the few. The only other person I found who claimed his Hero reported VRM temps never posted a screen shot proving it, so yours in the first I have seen. I would love to see a BIOS screen shot showing VRM temp monitoring. Could you post that? Also, may I ask about when you purchased your board, and where (what country). Maybe you got an early one. There were posts about this on the OC.net forum and the ROG forum. A certain well know Asus rep who frequents both of those forums would post about a lot of things, but would not comment on or acknowledge this issue in any way. Live and learn....

Thanks

Der Kommandant you are the first person I have found that can monitor VRM temps on an Asus Maximus X Hero board that has posted a screen shot to prove it. My Hero WIFI does not report VRM temps, and neither does just about anyone else's (who I know of). The reason (according to the authors of AIDA and HWINFO) is that the boards used to report VRM temp (as advertised) but a revision was done and a component was changed in the VRM section that resulted in no ability to monitor VRM temps. On my Hero WIFI, VRM temps are not reported, at least with BIOS 0802 or 1003. I Googled reviews on these boards and looked at BIOS screen dumps from 6 different reviewers. NONE of them showed VRM temp in the BIOS (or anywhere else). Curiously, none of the reviewers even mentioned it. Asus web site clearly shows a little thermometer over the VRM section, indicating it can be monitored.

If you are seeing VRM temp reported through the EC buss, you are one of the few. The only other person I found who claimed his Hero reported VRM temps never posted a screen shot proving it, so yours in the first I have seen. I would love to see a BIOS screen shot showing VRM temp monitoring. Could you post that? Also, may I ask about when you purchased your board, and where (what country). Maybe you got an early one. There were posts about this on the OC.net forum and the ROG forum. A certain well know Asus rep who frequents both of those forums would post about a lot of things, but would not comment on or acknowledge this issue in any way. Live and learn....

Thanks

Hi there,

the function to read it out via Bios (and ergo normally via normal tempsoftware) has been deactivated via Biosupdates for all hero boards.
But any software that can read out (and interpret correctly) the Asus E mbedded C hip, can reveal if your Mobo was one of the ... older? Versions.:

Unbenannt.jpg

jepp. the temps are low.
Because i get the hint if my manufacturer puts a free VRM Fan mount bracket in the package:

IMG_20180424_212322.jpg

The Board has been bought march 2018 in Germany. From the looks of it i got one lying long on a shelf.
The sound issue i could fix.....my way:

IMG_20180415_202457 (002).jpg

Rgds
Carlyle

Last edited:
What is the VRM temperature running prime95 small FFT?

Morning,

that's a 10 minute run only though:

! room temp 17 C
humidity 52%

10 min prime.jpg

The rig was intended for use in Hong Kong.
So the air cooling is a little ott.

No temp issues at all Sir with CPU warranty and Noctua paste NT-H1.

Rgds

Carlyle

Last edited:
My T2 numbers resemble Carlyle's VRM temps.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Hwinfo is reading VRM temps as T2 on my board, infact same ambients with the same load produce the same temps for my T2 as Carlyle's post above. On Maximus hero X.

Trying to find a way to isolate the VRM from air flow to confirm my thoughts. Any ideas?

Carlyle, which bios?

Morning,

that's a 10 minute run only though:

! room temp 17 C
humidity 52%

The rig was intended for use in Hong Kong.
So the air cooling is a little ott.

No temp issues at all Sir with CPU warranty and Noctua paste NT-H1.

Rgds

Carlyle

Thanks, looks great?

The bios ver. would be 1301.

And for isolation:
The Bags your harddrive/graphics card comes with are non-conductive, don't hold a charge and are more heat resistant than houseware plastic bags.
Tape them shut (leave opening for straw) with enough air, so that 80% of both side can't touch each other, so you have enough slack to bend/put them into place.
1-2 should be more than enough for a quick test.

Anything else, let me know.

Rgds
Carlyle

Last edited:
Back