• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 8700k delid summary, 23°C drop in temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

A few days ago I decided to delid my 8700k. I used a cheap $12 BoArt CPU Delid Tool and it worked just fine. I also didn't reseal as it seems the general interwebs consensus is that no matter how little you apply it does raise temps so my Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming WiFi board is holding it clamped in just fine. Before delid, running Aida64 I was getting max temps of 95°C on 4.9GHz using the Gigabyte pre-made overclock settings on a corsair H115i extreme (push/pull) for cooling inside of my Antec 1200 case. After delidding and applying Thermal grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal to the chip and covering, Thermal grizzly Kryonaut to the cooler I now max out at 72°C running at 4.9GHz. I absolutely didn't expect a 23°C drop! Currently I'm on 5GHz on pre-made overclock settings getting and max temps are 77°C.

My PC is quiet as a mouse now but when PLEX does an analysis run I do have my side fan set to kick up to max speed to cool my VRM as these Gigabyte boards seem to have a heating issue w/ VRM temps. I've gone as high as 125°C so now using this side fan it seems to top off at 111°C. The side fan is fairly good and silent so it's not much of a sound issue thankfully.

Attachments

• 20181117_105559 (1).jpg
    20181117_105559 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,474
  • 20181117_104153 (1).jpg
    20181117_104153 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,370
  • 20181117_104134 (1).jpg
    20181117_104134 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,373
nice, congrats! I remember when they first started using the IHS everyone here was mad about the temps. Guess with these sockets you can't go direct die (except for that one waterblock on kickstarter).

I absolutely didn't expect a 23°C drop!

I think a 20° C or so drop is fairly normal. Delidding my i7-8700K yielded roughly the same result and got it to 5 GHz also. Plus my $100 Gigabyte Z370P D3 had no VRM temperature issues.

nice, congrats! I remember when they first started using the IHS everyone here was mad about the temps. Guess with these sockets you can't go direct die (except for that one waterblock on kickstarter).

I'm surprised it works without a delid kit for the motherboard. Be careful kn that clamping force on a naked die.....the risk to run naked versus its returns is too much for me.

I'm surprised it works without a delid kit for the motherboard. Be careful kn that clamping force on a naked die.....the risk to run naked versus its returns is too much for me.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by it working without a delid kit for the motherboard.... and it's not "naked" as the covering is on it, I just didn't apply the "glue" to reseal it as my research shows a lot of people ended up deliding again and not using the sealant compound the 2nd time around for better temps since the motherboard holds it in place just fine.

stop, you're making me want to delid my 7800x, im held back at 4.2ghz because thermals RIP

stop, you're making me want to delid my 7800x, im held back at 4.2ghz because thermals RIP

Honestly it was cheap and easy. I put on some music, lit some incense, cracked open that IHS, cleaned it out all nice and shinny, gave the chip a spit shine, have fun putting liquid metal on both, applied top end thermal compound to the IHS/AIO, and enjoyed at big 23°C drop in temp and upped my overclock w/ so much ease.

Is there a way to make this a sticky other than voting??? If it's voting I say YES :) +1 We have a lot of knowledge here (other members have already done this) and it would be nice to have it all in one place :thup:
I'm going to start with my i7-6700k before I do my i7-8700k. Is the nail polish a recommendation or a requirement to help protect the CPU board???

This isn't a sticky thread, it is one person's results bud... not a guide. The

As far as nail polish, what do the guides you'ver read say it is for? AFAIK nail polish is for tacking the IHS back down so it doesn't move (but can easily be removed again).

MM - Start your own thread, like this one, about your delidding adventures and questions. You have seemingly posted in a couple of threads and its getting hard to follow and help you with things all scattered around.

I appreciate the love for suggesting this as a sticky but this was a post just on my own experience so it's not really for that. But I did want to post my updated numbers.

I ended up pushing a bit further using the default overclock of 5GHz on my Gigabyte Z370 Gaming Wifi board and manually pushing the clock to 5.1GHz. I'm 100% stable no matter what I throw at it. I can boot at 5.2GHz but I think I need to tweak a bit to get that stable.

At 5.1GHz my Cinebench R15 score is 1627
Using the Corsair H115i Extreme AIO w/ my 8700k Delid at 5.1GHz my temps:

While playing Battlefiled V on Ultra 1080p RX580 8GB cpu temps max at 67°C
AIDA64 for 30 min max temp 76°C
Idle temps avg ~29°C depending on ambient temps (my wife adjusts the heat all over the place)
I use this PC for PLEX as well so when I download a Movie/TV Show it auto analyzes it to create image thumbnails for skipping ahead or rewind and that runs the CPU at 100% for a few minutes to a few hours depending on how many I download and max temps for that has been 72°C w/ an exceptionally warm ambient one time hitting 76°C.

Overall I'm very happy w/ this experiment and the only difference I really see in performance is nearly always being the 1st on a map in Battlefield V (I have Gigabit internet as well) and PLEX analyzes movies and tv shows a bit quicker which has the nice effect of getting done sooner which allows us to watch a movie sooner w/ the thumbnails. A nice use for that is that our dog is sick so sometimes we get up to help him w/ something and rewinding back to where we missed using thumbnails is very helpful and just a nice experience vs guessing using time stamps. 6 Cores / 12 Threads seems to be a perfect combo for gaming/PLEX uses and yes I can do both and download a 60GB 4K movie all at the same time with no lag in game, or buffering w/ the movie streaming on PLEX.

Very interesting. I have a 8700k O.C to 5ghz and my max temp underload goes anywhere from 60-75c. I have a single custom loop setup. EKWB cool stream 480 rad, EKWB supreme evo water block. The loop takes care of the 1080ti watercooled GPU and CPU. I used thermal grizzly between the copper block and CPU plate. I don't know if it would be worth it to delid for me because the temps are not crazy in game. I bought the processor and upgraded the CPU and MB about 2 weeks ago.

Which by the way so far has never been delivered!

I'll never support anything like that again, if someone doesn't honor their word and follow through and deliver what they've given their word to do! (well I'll just leave it at that.)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

My 8700K delid went great, used the Dr Delid Pro tool to delid and relid with a very small amount of sealant, so little sealant was used I was afraid it wouldn't hold but it did.

I used cool laboratory liquid metal pro as the replacement TIM and it's been almost a year now, overclocked all cores to 5ghz at 1.250v, highest core temperature running P95 26.6 is 50c.

Most cores dropped by 15c 1 dropped by 17c, and came closer in alignment with the other core temperatures.

Since the delid they have remained consistent over time.

Last edited:
is that the optimus cpu block? if so i nearly bought one but it doesnt fit my broadwell e cpu...
im seriously considering a 8086k/mb in the coming weeks to tide me over until amd releases their new gear but i dont think ive got the guts to delid despite the amazing temp drops!

is that the optimus cpu block? if so i nearly bought one but it doesnt fit my broadwell e cpu...
im seriously considering a 8086k/mb in the coming weeks to tide me over until amd releases their new gear but i dont think ive got the guts to delid despite the amazing temp drops!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by

This is the block I was referring to, I bought 2 of them and so far not received them.

I still think it was a great idea the guy had, but he never delivered what he promised, even if he does ever deliver there will be no need as technology is changing so fast what it was designed for will be obsolete.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by

This is the block I was referring to, I bought 2 of them and so far not received them.

I still think it was a great idea the guy had, but he never delivered what he promised, even if he does ever deliver there will be no need as technology is changing so fast what it was designed for will be obsolete.

it does look to be a solid design. it doesnt make sense for him to simply abandon it. unless there was a flaw or something he didnt let on. has there been any word as to why he isnt fulfilling the orders? or did he just take the money and run?

Honestly once you delid just 1 time, you'll think to yourself how easy it was and that you should have done it right away. After gaming (Battlefield V), PLEX analysis, day to day work loads, my max temps are 60°c - 66°C per core, idle 25°C - 28°C and my system is whisper quiet w/ the Corsair H115i Extreme in a push pull format. Right now while working the Liquid Cooler temp is 29.6°C.

Basically until I went the delid rout I wasn't really able to really use my 8700k to it's fullest potential. 5.1GHz I'm 100% stable no matter how long I run any stress test so I'll just be keeping it here.

Back