• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus mobo problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theivan

Hi all. i have a Asus m4a785-m the other day ago i installed a new CPU cooler. and when i started it back up it would come on but screen stayed black and nothing happened. i took out vid card. same deal untill i took out all the ram and got the "beep" so i put back in 1 stick and it started up fine. now. i cant put all my ram back in cus it does the same thing. it will run with 2 gigs in slots 1 and 3. but if i add anymore it wont boot.

when i installed the CPU cooler i had to remove the CPU with the stock cooler to get them apart.

Asus M4A785-M
Amd Athlon II X2 250
Patriot ddr2 1gig 5300 X 4 sticks ( only 2 atm)
WinXp Pro 32bit

try loosening up the timings with the two sticks in then put the other two in.

sort of a long shot but I've had my pc not boot because of timings.

that how i got it to run 2 sticks. changed it from 333 to 266 and it ran to but cant get all 4 to run.. i even reset bios and lost all my over clocks :(

Loosening the timings does not mean slowing the frequency down from 333 to 266. Look at Khan's ram info in his sig. The ram timings are the 8-8-8-24 numbers.

What do you mean, "when i installed the CPU cooler i had to remove the CPU with the stock cooler to get them apart." Do you mean the CPU pulled out of the socket when you were trying to remove the stock cooler? Or are you saying something about the ram, "couldn't get them apart"?

Last edited:
i dont have those kind of timing settings. i have DRAM timing modes that are "auto" "dct0" "dct1" and "both" i set it to DCT 0. it was on 1. and i also backed the freq back one from 333 to 266. im not at all sure about ram timing and stuff. and about the cooler. i couldnt get the coooler and the CPU to separate so i have to pull the cpu out of the socket and pull them apart. i didnt touch anything else but the CPU and cooler and when i went to power on the computer wouldnt post. would just power on but nothing would happen. so i went pulled out all the ram and got the "beep" so i figured the cpu was ok. and put back in the ram but nothing so i just tried 1 stick of ram and it powered on and booted. i messed with the timings and freq's and got it to run with 2 sticks. but it wont run with all 4. and will only run with the 2 gigs in slots 1 and 3. not 2 and 4. but 1 stick will run in all 4 slots.

so i dont see what changed between shutting down.. pulling the cooler and CPU and replacings and powering back on.

i cleared the Cmos and still did the same thing.

sorry about my sloppy typing/grammar i had a long day at work.

Last edited:
might want to take the cpu out and look for bent or broken pins then, it might have happened when the cpu came out with the old cooler.

also, if you don't have it get cpu-z, go to the memory tab part of it, and the timings are the 5 numbers that you see there, the first will say cas in front of it, write down those 5 numbers and the letters in front of them so you know what to change to what number, then look in your bios for either memory or DRAM settings and they should be in there.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

In your BIOS under Jumper Free you should have a line for "Memory Clock Mode", which you'll need to set to Manual, then choose a DRAM Timing Mode of "Both". After that you should have all the timing options under that. Here's a translation of the CPU-Z labels to (most) BIOS labels:

CAS# Lat = tCL
RAS to CAS = tRCD
RAS Prechrg = tRP
tRAS
tRC

ahh Ok. i see alot of settings now. they are all on auto.

try 6-6-6-15 to start off and see if it posts, after that you can drop it down to 5-5-5-15. if that fails go back to what works.

Get a free program called memtest86+ and test each stick of ram in each memory slot for at least 4 passes of memtest86+. You can put the memory on "Auto" if you wish in bios but check to see if when you begin running memtest if bios is assigning correct stock frequency and timings to the memory compared to what it is rated for by Patriot. You can find the timings on Patriot's web sited for reference. Running memtes86+ on the ram can take some time but don't get in a hurry. We need to establish that all your memory slots are good and that all your memory sticks are good. Memtes86+ runs in DOS mode at startup from a bootable CD or floppy. There are directions on the program author's website for how to install it to disk.

ive tried all my sticks in every slot. 1 stick in all 4. than so on and so on. so i was assuming that was fine. im just lost to as why it did it after a new cpu cooler. ill run the program thanks ill let u kno what happns

Back