• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Centuriondk

Registered
Hi everyone,

I apologize for having to bother you all with this but I've read a million and a half articles on overclocking and haven't been able to get my CPU as high as I'd like yet.

I know my set up is getting older, so I'd like to get a little more out of it. There are so many options in the ASUS bios that I'm not sure how to configure everything.

I have an E7200 on an ASUS 5PQ Pro motherboard. Ram Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB and graphics card is ATI 4870. I have put links to it all below if anyone wants to see the specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146785
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129113

My CPU is currently up to 3.48 with a FSB of 410 and an mlt of 8.5. Whenever I try to up the mlt above 8.5 I get a rounding error in Prime95 or I get a blue screen data dump before windows loads. My voltage is already at 1.36 (I was planning to work on decreasing it once I got the speed where i wanted it) so I don't think I need to up the voltage anymore. Any one with any thoughts on why I can't up the mlt above 8.5? I also can't up my FSB above 410 and now I just saw that even on 410 x 8.5 my second core is failing in prime.

Per CPUID here's my processor stats atm.

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
Codename Wolfdale
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.7.6
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping M0
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 2460.1 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 410.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1640.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2533 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 9.5x
Max VID 1.213 V

TDP Limit 65 Watts

Here are my BIOS settings

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB: 400
PCIE: 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge: Auto
Dram Frequency: DDR2 -801 Mhz
Dram Timing Control: Auto
Dram Static Read Control: Disabled
Mem OC Charger: Auto
AI CLock Twiser: Auto
AI Transaction Booser: Manual
Common Preformance Level 10
everything else under this tab disabled
Voltages are all Auto for now. I tried CPU up at 1.36 and the rest in yellow text to try to make sure i had enough power

Load Line Calibration: Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement: Performance Mode

Any thoughts on changes I could try would be appreciated!

You can get your FSB so so over 410. Get the latest BIOS. You're likely in a Bios hole. Keep going up until you get out of it. I got a P5Q-E, which is the budget version of the board that followed yours up to like 575. That wasn't stable-- but 566 was.

I don't think you should have an issue with getting the board to 450 or so. What might be an issue is if your RAM won't take 1066 or in the ballpark thereof with loosened timings, as you're going to be forced to crawl into that zone due to FSB ratio limitations.

You may have one of those "I BARELY made the bin" CPUs and need load line calibration even at lower clocks btw.

Occasionally if all else fails and the CPU is stubborn you can move the margin enhancement to 'compatible' as well.

After all of that tinkering with 101 settings all it took was leaving everything on auto and cranking up the voltage.... I'm torture testing right now, but it didn't crash in the first 10 seconds like the other configurations did. Is it safe to have the voltage set at 1.5 for long term use? I have a good cooling system and good ventilation. Is it all based on the temperature of the chip or can the voltage alone cause damage?

Just my personal opinion over the years...

After all of that tinkering with 101 settings all it took was leaving everything on auto and cranking up the voltage.... I'm torture testing right now, but it didn't crash in the first 10 seconds like the other configurations did. Is it safe to have the voltage set at 1.5 for long term use? I have a good cooling system and good ventilation. Is it all based on the temperature of the chip or can the voltage alone cause damage?

Actually a signature with every component listed is an excellent idea. Gives us the chance to see what you have for power supply, cooling etc.

That said, temperature is critical when referring to voltage. Generally the resistance to electrical conduction increases with temperature. That would lead to the point where you add voltage to get a higher overclock and the increased voltage brings with it heat and then you must increase the voltage. That is a generalization but holds forth in much actual practice.

I used to work with a mobo company and saw many many configurations and setups. Tested many many setups myself. I tested and benched and even participated for months on a benching team and went for all out speeds with what I had personally for cooling. Overall I found the the socket 775 Intel processors had plenty of oomph at about 3600Mhz and that the additional voltage needed to go beyond that speed was just not logical in my "own" mind. Beyond that you can ask about various voltages levels as to the safety thereof but no one can do more than speak from their own experience. That experience might not fit your components at all. One 'weak' transistor in your cpu could fail far faster than those of another.

All considered, I found 3600Mhz on socket 775 to be much more safe from a voltage perspective than the greater voltage increase needed to get just a few 100 mhz more in cpu speed.

As in anything man-made YMMV. Luck man. RGone...ster.

Actually a signature with every component listed is an excellent idea. Gives us the chance to see what you have for power supply, cooling etc.

That said, temperature is critical when referring to voltage. Generally the resistance to electrical conduction increases with temperature. That would lead to the point where you add voltage to get a higher overclock and the increased voltage brings with it heat and then you must increase the voltage. That is a generalization but holds forth in much actual practice.

I used to work with a mobo company and saw many many configurations and setups. Tested many many setups myself. I tested and benched and even participated for months on a benching team and went for all out speeds with what I had personally for cooling. Overall I found the the socket 775 Intel processors had plenty of oomph at about 3600Mhz and that the additional voltage needed to go beyond that speed was just not logical in my "own" mind. Beyond that you can ask about various voltages levels as to the safety thereof but no one can do more than speak from their own experience. That experience might not fit your components at all. One 'weak' transistor in your cpu could fail far faster than those of another.

All considered, I found 3600Mhz on socket 775 to be much more safe from a voltage perspective than the greater voltage increase needed to get just a few 100 mhz more in cpu speed.

As in anything man-made YMMV. Luck man. RGone...ster.

Once again I really appreciate the guidance. This computer was my first OC (2 years ago) and I haven't had to tinker with the settings since. Then my OZC power supply died and my bios reset while waiting for newegg to ship me then new one. (Went with a Corsair 850 watt this time).

I was able to get the voltage down to 1.44375 by dropping the FSB from 400 to 390 and I'm currently stress testing it at 1.4 with a 380 FSB, which puts me around the 3.6 you recommended. I'm much more comfortable with this voltage setting and I'll see if I can tweak it down anymore.

It just blows my mind that every guide I found was all about what settings you had to turn off in the BIOS to get a good OC. Until the one you posted where the guy just changed the FSB and the voltage and that got me a much higher OC then turning off all those settings.

One last questions - In terms of BIOS, what mfg is considered to have the most OC friendly BIOS? After this I'm pretty happy with ASUS, I hear GIGABYTE's is also very good. Just trying to gauge what I should look at when it comes time to build a new CPU.

Once again I really appreciate the guidance. This computer was my first OC (2 years ago) and I haven't had to tinker with the settings since. Then my OZC power supply died and my bios reset while waiting for newegg to ship me then new one. (Went with a Corsair 850 watt this time).

I was able to get the voltage down to 1.44375 by dropping the FSB from 400 to 390 and I'm currently stress testing it at 1.4 with a 380 FSB, which puts me around the 3.6 you recommended. I'm much more comfortable with this voltage setting and I'll see if I can tweak it down anymore.

It just blows my mind that every guide I found was all about what settings you had to turn off in the BIOS to get a good OC. Until the one you posted where the guy just changed the FSB and the voltage and that got me a much higher OC then turning off all those settings.

One last questions - In terms of BIOS, what mfg is considered to have the most OC friendly BIOS? After this I'm pretty happy with ASUS, I hear GIGABYTE's is also very good. Just trying to gauge what I should look at when it comes time to build a new CPU.

Please don't use layperson's/people who buy a computer at BestBuy language. Our ears and eyes bleed. Some of us who are overly sensitive may need to be briefly hospitalized. Rig/system. Not CPU. You do not build a CPU. You install it on a motherboard. Calling a tower a CPU is a tragic, tragic common misconception perpetuated by giant chains selling overpriced rock bottom components to stupid people.

Giga and Asus bios are equally easy to tweak IMO. Giga isn't using a graphical bios (GOOD) for P67 yet. I don't want my bios 'iMac'd thank you very much so I'm happy with puke yellow on blue background. Buy a board because it has quality components and does what you want. That's it. Worst case scenario the bios will be less familiar too you- but if that gets you a board with top quality chokes/mosfets/caps vs one without for the same price, take the unfamiliar bios.

Please don't use layperson's/people who buy a computer at BestBuy language. Our ears and eyes bleed. Some of us who are overly sensitive may need to be briefly hospitalized. Rig/system. Not CPU. You do not build a CPU. You install it on a motherboard. Calling a tower a CPU is a tragic, tragic common misconception perpetuated by giant chains selling overpriced rock bottom components to stupid people.

Giga and Asus bios are equally easy to tweak IMO. Giga isn't using a graphical bios (GOOD) for P67 yet. I don't want my bios 'iMac'd thank you very much so I'm happy with puke yellow on blue background. Buy a board because it has quality components and does what you want. That's it. Worst case scenario the bios will be less familiar too you- but if that gets you a board with top quality chokes/mosfets/caps vs one without for the same price, take the unfamiliar bios.

:bang head Sorry. I don't know what came over me. I completely agree with my misuse of the term. That's what I get for typing too quickly and not thinking enough!

Next time I build a new comp/system* (I don't like using "rig" because it feels like I'm designing an 18 wheeler or an oil platform, not a new computer)

Given the amount of options on the ASUS motherboard and my friend's indication that his Gigabyte didn't have as many options but worked well, I wasn't sure how much each mfg was adding to the OC potential with their bios options.

Back