• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Z77 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeclub

Registered
I new to the forum. I beginner to the whole DIY PC thing however I picked a quite a few things after building 3 computers. My second computer has
  • 8gbs of corsair xms 1333mhz
  • intel 2500k (stock cooler until I get my mounting brackets for my modded thermaltake water performer 2.0)
  • ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Z77
  • some sort of samsung 2.5" 250gb HDD @5400 rpm (from a netbook)
  • Evga 650ti 2gb SSC and OCed some more
  • 650 watt bronze plus ultra PSU
  • and an assortment of fans from corsair to thermaltake
The problem is my old motherboard died on me within 2 weeks (cheap gigabyte mobo $80<). At first I thought it was PSU so I sent it back and got a new one and then i realized it was the mobo. So I bought the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Z77 this is because I plan to overclock and maybe sli and upgrade to ivy in the future. Now once I got the mobo in place my old HDD also died so I had spare hanging around from a netbook and I put that one in and it runs windows ultimate 64bit. Now I know the hard disk drive is bottle necking my system, but it will be upgraded soon enough. The problem is my boot time. The boot time is roughly 2 minutes or more. First my comp after posting with one beep will hang at the enter bios screen for 10 - 1 minute(s) and then windows will continue to load for 2 more minutes, once I am past that the computer runs like a monster. Now I want to know why the load is so slow, I went into bios playing around with the options and I sped up the boot, but not significantly. The other thing is the red led beside the sata ports lights up red meaning there is a problem with the booting if I wait for the bios screen will disappear and the light turns off. I only want to know if there is a problem with the mobo cause I have 8 more days to return it. I also have the most recent bios on my mobo. Windows runs fine it's just the boot.

Did you reinstall Windows when you swapped in the netbook drive or just copy&paste/clone?

I reinstalled the os via usb. Right after I put the new asus mobo in and updated the bios. I also formatted the drive so I did a clean install.

Last edited:
The fact that it is hanging during the POST process indicates that the issue isn't OS related, but rather hardware related. If you unplug the hard drive, does the POST process go past that first screen faster? If it does, I would normally say that your drive is bad. Since this is the second drive, however, I would try different data cables and even different power cables to see if that resolves the issue.

If the POST process still hangs, just start disconnecting non-critical components one by one until it doesn't hang. Even try running with just a single stick of RAM and moving it to different slots.

Finally, make sure the BIOS is updated to the latest.

I got a new ssd 256gb sata 3 samsung ssd. The odd thing is that when I shut it down and start it it take 3 minutes to boot. When I restart it, it takes literally 5 seconds after the it posts. The thing is the comp works very well after the boot, I'll prob try another version of bios and downgrade if that does not work. I am exchanging it. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Went through everything one last time and I found the cd drive was the reason it hung at the bios screen and windows loading screen, after unplugging it solved everything (the cd was 5 years old). Now my comp boots exceptionally fast, I have never seen a faster boot in my life it is roughly 5 seconds after it posts it's great :) I might not even bother replacing the CD drive I have everything on usb and a bigs thanks to everyone who helped me.

Back