• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Rampage III Formula broken cap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

OK so I got this Rampage III Formula from an [H] member and unfortunately despite good packaging it arrived with a capacitor busted off in shipping. I was wondering if any of y'all could help identify the area affected and tell me if its a 100% needed one or not.

The busted off cap is between the second X16 pci-e slot and the second x1 slot as shown in the picturesView attachment 212499View attachment 212500

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 74
That is a bummer. I don't see why it wouldn't run, maybe just don't use those two slots. I hot plugged one of my thick fans to that board once, and it made a loud pop and the regulator thingy blew off and the board still works just fine, but that header doesn't :D It should work..

Edit:

Look for the LN2 jumper for the QPI/VTT and enable it. It will take the droop away :thup:

My plans are to use the top x16 for my gpu rx590 fatboy and the bottom x16 for my pci-e m.2 add in card running a single 1tb m.2 nvme drive (yup I know it won’t run at nvme speeds but 1700 is better than 550 sata 3 lol) don’t even plan on using any in between.

I’m currently using a asus p6x58d premium and i7 930 6*2gb ddr3 1600, got this board and 3*4gb ddr3 1600 with a 980x and also picked up another 4*4gb ddr3 1600. I really want to use this rampage III for a steric reasons as my case fans are red and case is white and black.

This will be my daily driver until I can afford to upgrade once this pandemic crap is normalized. I’ve managed to stay working but at severely reduced wages and hours (even though work hasn’t slowed down) ( damn greedy corporations).
I had to sell my 9900kf 2080ti rig back in October to pay bills due to these greedy asshats lol.

If you get some solder wick you might be able to clear the holes then reattach it or buy a new one and replace it. I picked up a fan controller at a scratch and dent sale that had a broken off cap and I was able to get the replacement at digikey.

Lol there’s nothing left on the bottom of the cap to reattach it with, the stems are actually still on the board. Next up is back in the day I’d do it in a heartbeat but these days my eyesight and hand steadiness is not up to the task.

My hopes is that it’s a non used spot that I can just forget about it and run it as is. Or talk to the seller about a partial refund since it’s kinda how it was packed that caused the issue. He included a koolance cpu 360 water block and had it wrapped in bubble wrap but placed it onto of the slot area for shipping, if he had placed bubble wrap around board then put block on there I doubt it of been an issue.

Build it and see if the things you need to work still work. Make sure you communicate the issue with the seller if you have not.

Id have the screwdriver in hand once the logs were being sawed fo sho.

But I am impatient like that.. But I understand the hesitance too..

Nice board man, hope she makes it :salute:

Well seems like I dodged a bullet. Everything seems to be working. I’m pretty sure the broken cap goes to the 2nd x16 slot and since I’m not using it no big deal. Hell my fatboy gpu blocks the second slot anyway.

Now on to overclocking it. Been ages since I’ve dealt with bclk.

Back