• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage IV Extreme, i7-3820 and Corsair H-100 heat problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TAW_Lucky

This is killing me. It's quite a puzzle.

I installed my new mobo, CPU, RAM and liquid cooler (the Corsair H-100). Here's the ugly thing: when I installed the cooler, I initially did not remove the cover on the H-100's contact for the CPU. I booted it up, and in a couple minutes, while I was in the CMOS, it shut itself off. I restarted, and saw CPU temps around 89C. And after about 3 similar starts and stops, I realized that I had not removed the cover, so I did so. There was no visible damage to either the cover or the CPU (or the cooler). But after setting it up right, I was still getting CPU temps starting about 88-89C, then it would get hotter and shut down again in a couple minutes.

The two 120mm fans on the radiator of the H-100 were clearly working hard. The radiator didn't even feel warm, and the lights and control on the H-100 seemed to be working right, but I couldn't hear any pump noise at all.

So I thought I'd eliminate one factor and zipped out and bought a Corsair H-80 (similar cooler, but smaller radiator). I installed that and got the same results: temps about 89 degrees C right away, then shutdown in a couple minutes.

So I thought I'd eliminate another factor: maybe the CPU had been damaged somehow...I bought a 2nd one and put that in. Same problem. I tried setting the CMOS to Ignore the CPU temp, but it still shut down in a couple minutes.

(BTW, I was getting "CPU over temp" messages when I booted.)

So if it's not the cooler and not the CPU, is the mobo suspect? Could it's thermometer be reading wrong? I didn't feel a lot of heat around the CPU area, but not sure if that's significant.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions!

are you sure that You have a good contact between the plate and the processor? It sounds like either the motherboard is shot. It seems like you have eliminated all of the other options. You should see about getting an rma on it, save yourself a bit of money instead of buying a new one, seen as you've already forked out on 2 processors and 2 coolers

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I have the cooler screwed down tightly, but I have no proof really that it's making good contact. I can't see down there due to the angles and all.

Wow, you were right, Jameseboy! It wasn't making contact. For some reason, the pegs that the cooler frame should sit on is too high. I'll have to figure out what's going on there, but that seems to be the central problem. Thanks!

there is a way.

when u remove the contact, flip it around, and you will see the TIM spread.
can you take a picture of it, and show me?

I think you have a contact problem.
maybe your mount is a little high, and the two isn't actually touching..
it the TIM didn't spread well, that will be the evident.

Yup, that's how I knew (see above). The Rampage IV Extreme has a frame piece (like square with four arms extending off each corner) on the underside of the mobo. The H100 (and H80) have a similar bracket that is made to go with the pegs. The Corsair bracket would not be as high as the one on the mobo alone. So basically, the H100/H80 is not a good fit for the Rampage IV Extreme!

I'm going to look at how to get them to play ball together. New pegs? Bend the arms a bit?

I use the R4E as well, and I had in previous time, used H80, then H100, now liquid cooling.

I used R4E's back plate for all of the above.
and for H80 and H100, there have 2 types of pegs, I have always used the shorter one, and use the 4 corner screws to get a nice tightness evenly distributed.

Always do the TIM test. mount once. Flip it around, see how it spreads, mount again. :)

CONCLUSION: the cooler was not sitting on the CPU!

Turns out that the Corsair H100 and H80 coolers will not sit comfortably on the CPU on a Asus Rampage IV Extreme board. To make it work, I just bought some 25mm M3 bolts and worked out a custom setup...very simple.

Thanks for the help.

CONCLUSION: the cooler was not sitting on the CPU!

Turns out that the Corsair H100 and H80 coolers will not sit comfortably on the CPU on a Asus Rampage IV Extreme board. To make it work, I just bought some 25mm M3 bolts and worked out a custom setup...very simple.

Thanks for the help.

Thats good to know, thanks! :thup:

I was thinking about maybe getting that board.. this would have been a problem :D

Back