• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RT-AC3200 causing load lag in Warcraft

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I'm a World of Warcraft player, might not be good at it but I love playing it... about a month ago I upgraded by router to the Asus RT-AC3200 and ever since I got loading lag in World of Warcraft. What I mean by loading lag is when I hearth or take a portal to a main city or use death gate as a Death Knight. The screen refreshes like it should and the progress bar fills up then it just sits there, for 30sec - 1min before I load in to the zone or area that I was headed too.

I have tried a ton of things, this modem has all sorts of settings, none have worked. DMZ failed, thought it would be a sure winner. There is a setting with in the router port forward for WOW using port 3724, didn't work. I disabled and shut down my av Kaspersky, didn't work. On a Blizzard post I found somewhere searching it said Wow uses ports 3724, 1119 & 6012 so I forwarded them all and still didn't work. Turned off the router protection, didn't work. Turned off the router Adaptive QoS, didn't work.

I've fiddled with every setting possible hoping to stumble upon the answer, nothing worked. Anyone got an idea what might be the issue? Am I overlooking something simple?

Modem - Linksys CM3024
Router Asus RT-AC3200

Are you absolutely certain its the router? Plug directly i to the modem, bypassing the router, to be sure. Packets are packets are packets afaik, so im not sure why a specific function inside a game causes lag, but nothing else does.

Agree with above, first make absolutely sure it is the router. If so, I have to wonder if the attempts at improving it may be hindering it. Check upnp is on and remove the custom port forwarding/dmz stuff. Game should open ports as it needs through upnp interface.

Also to check, the modem isn't also acting as a router is it? So you're not behind two layers of NAT.

Always had that in new Dalaran and Warlord's garrison (heavily populated and/or phased areas), it loads up to ~75% and then just sits there for 30s-1m. One trick you can use is to disable hardware acceleration in the Blizz launcher, for some reason it reduces loading times even on SSD.

Clipboard01.jpg

Always had that in new Dalaran and Warlord's garrison (heavily populated and/or phased areas), it loads up to ~75% and then just sits there for 30s-1m. One trick you can use is to disable hardware acceleration in the Blizz launcher, for some reason it reduces loading times even on SSD.

View attachment 198844

just tried that didn't seem to help...

- - - Updated - - -

Are you absolutely certain its the router? Plug directly i to the modem, bypassing the router, to be sure. Packets are packets are packets afaik, so im not sure why a specific function inside a game causes lag, but nothing else does.

you are right, that I didn't try... off to try it now..

Earthdog, Mackerel & Kenrou thanks I totally over looked plugging straight into the modem and still had the issue when I did so it is not a router issue. Truly thanks for helping out, that should of been step one and I did think of it but was going to do it when i got up for a drink then spaced it totally...

MY net is 300 down, 30 up..... I get faster speeds alot of the time, just ran a speedtest.net and got 375down, 33up

ok guys Im here to fall on my sword and tell you all I might be dumb... I did a fresh install of the game and didn't help.... on a whim I took and blew out my pc, it was dusty kinda not terrible but still and everything went back to normal. Dust was the issue.... I feel stupid as crap that I let it get that way and that I didn't think of it sooner. Thanks a ton for help guys and this shows sometimes you need to start with the very simple steps before you dive in to fix something.

Not sure i can make the leap that dust was the culprit... but, glad its working again!

it might of been worse than i'm leading, the pc is running almost 12 degrees cooler so maybe it was over heating slightly on larger gpu stuff... maybe? i'm really not sure honestly. But still thanks guys and Earthdog over the years this isn't the dumbist things Iv'e done, thanks for your patients... hard to believe we both been on here for going on 10 years already, seems like yesterday I found the site.

Back