• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus sabertooth 990fx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Landopops

Registered
Hey everybody
I finally got my asus sabertooth motherboard, so im finally ready for some serious oc'ing.
But before starting i just wanted some tips from some more experienced overclockers.
I will post cpu-z and hwmonitor pics later because im not at home atm.
Im planning a 4.6 ghz oc.
Specs: fx8150, noctua nh-d14, asus sabertooth 990fx r. 2, gtx 670, 8 gb corsair vengeance ram, old wd 1tb hdd, corsair ax850

Landopops

Welcome Landopops!

Have you ever overclocked anything before? You definitely need to to your homework before you start messing with your settings so you don't risk damaging something. Read the links provided by Mandrake and Ajay, but let us know your experience level because some of that material may be too technical and we can help you make sense of it. The most important thing to remember when you're overclocking is to take your time and work in small increments. You don't want to force your system to 4.6Ghz right off the bat. You have to work your way up to it. Increase the CPU speed by small increments and test for stability as you go. Make sure you keep an eye on your CPU and motherboard temperatures. Be patient with it!

+1 to that, also right down your changes on a scratch pad so you know always later on to see what you have changed. That way if you get a BSOD you know what you changed that caused it. Best of luck AJ. :) ;)

+1 to that, also right down your changes on a scratch pad so you know always later on to see what you have changed. That way if you get a BSOD you know what you changed that caused it. Best of luck AJ. :) ;)

Deeyam, don't be giving off them common sense ideas!!!

Hehehe. RGone...ster. :chair:

Beginner

Hey all im new to this pc overclocking thing, but here is the pics
Pics with prime95 small fft's test
and optimized defaults in bios

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 688
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 718
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 741
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 746
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 697
Looking at the CPUz Memory tab your ram is running at about DDR1333 not DDR1600. DDR rate = 2 times the reported Dram frequency reported by CPUz Memory tab.

Landopops, when stress testing with Prime95 use the blend test. Also if you can put your system specs in your signature, to help us remember what's in your pc, thanks. Here's how.

Landopops, when stress testing with Prime95 use the blend test. Also if you can put your system specs in your signature, to help us remember what's in your pc, thanks. Here's how.

I have the specs in the signature now. Can my ram downclock themselves when they aren't under load?

Turn off Cool-n-Quiet, C1E, Turbo and any other power saving stuff in your BIOS if they are enabled, and why is only 1 core temp showing in HWmonitor? Should be something like this:

8120-3.6GHZ.JPG

Something is not set right in the BIOS with the vcore and power jumping all around.

I have the specs in the signature now. Can my ram downclock themselves when they aren't under load?
Ram rated for 1600 mhz will generally run at 1333 by default. 1600 is the "XMP" (eXtended memory profile) or the overclocked mode. You will need to manually set it to 1600 in bios and make sure you set the memory voltage manually to. However, the Sabertooth probably has the XMP profile in bios along with the standard frequencies. Try it first.

Hey TRENTS donot you ever sleep Bro, it must be 2am or something i have to admire your will to help for sure my friend. Great job AJ.

fx-core temp

Turn off Cool-n-Quiet, C1E, Turbo and any other power saving stuff in your BIOS if they are enabled, and why is only 1 core temp showing in HWmonitor? Should be something like this:

View attachment 119634

Something is not set right in the BIOS with the vcore and power jumping all around.

I haven't changed anything in the bios, but could it be because of i use an old bios, im in version 5xx.
Im pretty sure i have the ram changed too.
And i don't actually think that the fx 8150 has individual core temps

View attachment 119634

There is only one core temp sensor on the processor and that has been true since the Phenom I series of AMD CPUs debuted. The reason you see more than one core temp sensor output is because the same one is repeated when there is more than one core. That's why they all read the same. The most recent version of HWMonitor corrects that for the FX CPUs with the "Package" temp report.

I haven't changed anything in the bios, but could it be because of i use an old bios, im in version 5xx.
Im pretty sure i have the ram changed too.
And i don't actually think that the fx 8150 has individual core temps

Landopops, he is suggesting you need to do just that: go into bios and change some things with regard to the "green" power-saving stuff that causes fluctuation in voltages and frequencies of the cores. We generally advise doing this with the later Phenom II and FX CPUs, especially when overclocking, since the green stuff can screw up overclocking. And I am suggesting you need to make changes in bios to get your memory running at the proper frequency. This is what we do here. This is how we overclock. Being willing to mess around in the bios is what it's all about. We'll help you with that but you must be willing to take the plunge and not hold back. Nothing will change about your system unless you are willing to do that.

Hello handsome people here are the pics without the green stuff and turbo

Attachments

• a.PNG
    a.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 692
  • b.PNG
    b.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 674
  • c.PNG
    c.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 702
  • d.PNG
    d.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 708
I have also changed the ram to 1600 mhz, am i ready to try overclock or shall i test my cpu for stability beforehand?

Back