• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 + Intel i7-3770K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
I currently have have an ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard equipped with Intel's i7-3770K processor and want to get the most out of this build (overclock). The system itself is only in a Mid-ATX, so Liquid Cooling is kind-of out of the picture.. and spacing is an issue (somewhat). Currently I am using the stock Heatsink that came with the CPU, but due to performance issues I definitely intend to overclock this CPU earlier then I had intended (like Today*). My main concern however, is the RAM ports. I noticed that the CPU sits closer to the RAM slots than my previous LGA 775 build and therefore am concerned that if I invest in a "Heavy-Duty" CPU fan it may prove to be problematic for my 4x RAM plan (currently borrowing 2x).
What CPU Fan should I invest in for this build, without having to worry about spacing or overlapping of components, to get the most out of my rig--or at least >4.4GHz (w/o worry of stability issues)?
??
Thank You.

-Also, I seldom use the internet,, but aren't there Comparison Charts of peoples who have run Side-By-Side tests to confirm which components are better suited for one-another?

My advice would be the Phantek TC14PE, for the price you pay you get top performance for air cooling, for the same price bracket it bests the Noctua D14.

I moved from the Z77 Sabertooth with nothing but good to say about it. You should easily be able to attain 4.5GHz.

You could probably get in the same overclock range by using an All-in-One water cooling solution. Many of those will mount where the 120 mm exhaust fan goes, provided you have one. The water block end will fit easily with no worries at all about memory clearance. There are lots of choices that use a 120 mm radiator and fan that mount where the existing 120 mm exhaust is located at the back of a case. So, if your case has that, it's another option to explore.

In regards to one of those type of Liquid-Cooled systems, I had attempted switching from a Zalman CNPS9500 to Antec's KUHLER H20 650 under the impression that I would at least cut off ~5^C (minimal) from my current setup--with my LGA 775.
Zalman - Overclocked @ 4.0GHz ~1.35V = ~40^C Idle & ~75^C Stressed (Intel BurnTest)
Antec - Stock @ 3.2GHz ~ 1.2V = ~40^C Idle & ~ 80^C Stressed (Intel BurnTest)
To put it simply, if I'm not sinking the $$money$$ (if I could afford the Space) into a Legitimate Liquid-Cooled System, I would rather stick to standard Heatsink+Fan build.

In regards to some thing such as the Phantek though: wouldn't Spacing be an issue for those types of fans? (on the LGA1155 socket)
*I failed to mention that my RAM ports are cooled with CORSAIR's CMFXA1 RAM fan

You had mentioned clearance concerns and that a full blown water cooling setup were out of the question with the case you currently have, I was simply mentioning other options are available.

Im on my phone, but for starters take that Corsair fan crap out of your setup as it does nothing but use power.

As far as clearance, it SHOULD fit assuming you dont use that ram cooler, but Google the heatsink/fan and clearance, you should be able to find someone with similar ram or the Phantek site perhaps ljsting clearance with the Sabertooth.

Back