• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS SmartDoctor always on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macstranded

I am running 64-bit Vista and I can't get ASUS SmartDoctor to not start up with the OS. I tried msconfig and Windows Defender but it doesn't even show up in the list of startup items. Any hints?

In msconfig, check the services tab. There is a way to stop it from running ;)

I honestly could not tell you, I have never run the program. What do you use it for? If nothing, just uninstall it ;)

It monitors the temp of my gpu. I would like to use it periodically, but I don't want it starting up every time I turn my computer on.

You could always use RivaTuner instead. It can show them in games and down on the bar.

It is the only one I use for temperature monitoring for the GPU.

You could always use RivaTuner instead. It can show them in games and down on the bar.

It is the only one I use for temperature monitoring for the GPU.

My guess is that I will run into the same issue with plenty of other programs in the future. I'd rather find the source of the problem now instead of using a go-around. Thanks for the tips anyway.

What I'll do tomorrow is get a copy of the program and install it unless it is one of those super intrusive, difficult to remove programs (*glares at norton*).

What I'll do tomorrow is get a copy of the program and install it unless it is one of those super intrusive, difficult to remove programs (*glares at norton*).

Everything I find online about the program says that it is easy to remove from the startup, but none of the methods worked for me.:confused:

So, you have tried:

msconfig, going to the startup tab and unchecking anything that you don't want starting (basically, uncheck all and only start what you need).

msconfig, going to the services tab, not listed.

Try this:

Open regedit via the run command (regedit) and check these locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < RunOnce

So, you have tried:

msconfig, going to the startup tab and unchecking anything that you don't want starting (basically, uncheck all and only start what you need).

msconfig, going to the services tab, not listed.

Try this:

Open regedit via the run command (regedit) and check these locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE < Software < Microsoft < Windows < CurrentVersion < RunOnce

I already tried the last two registry locations and when I tried the other two just now I was still unable to find anything. Which OS are you using?

EDIT: I also just found out that I am unable to stop the annoying popup that tells me that some startup programs are blocked. I check the box that says to not show the message again but it still pops up every time I restart my computer.

Last edited:
I tried moving the program out of it's original folder hoping that I would get an error message on startup that might point out the culprit, but nothing happened. The problem program didn't start up, but still no clue as to what was causing it to startup on boot. I then returned the file to it's folder and renamed the folder, and when I rebooted it did the same thing. At this point I think I will just leave it alone since it's no longer starting up on it's own, but if this information gives anyone a clue as to where the file or string or whatever that was booting the program on startup might be I would still be interested in knowing.

I know this thread is a little old but... I had the same issue. I did some testing with ProcMon while installaing SmartDoctor and found SmartDoctor is started with the ASDR service. Change the service to manual and it should fix it. You can still run manually without any issues.

September 2011, 3 years later, and I wondered the exact same thing.

Win7 64 bit.
Msconfig -> Services -> ASDR

Who would have guessed it was named ASDR. thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where startup monitor programs come in useful.
I've been using this one since Windows 9x:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

If it doesn't work under 64-Bit, does anyone know of another one which does?

EDIT: Not Free but Works with Windows 8 64-Bit: http://www.winpatrol.com/

I've been using this since Win 9x too to disable startup items:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Also looking for its equivalent for 64-Bit Windows.

EDIT: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

Also useful
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_new.html

Last edited:
super easy i'll show you

I am running 64-bit Vista and I can't get ASUS SmartDoctor to not start up with the OS. I tried msconfig and Windows Defender but it doesn't even show up in the list of startup items. Any hints?

follow my steps carefully:

1. click start
2. in the search bar type in "msconfig" (without the quotes)
3. click on the "services" tap
4. uncheck "ASDR" and (just for your info: under the manufacturer tap it should say "unknown")
5. congratulations you have stopped smart doctor from starting up at the booting process of your PC. it's good to keep this software installed just for testing sake.

AXHEJAZ, I'm guessing he either doesn't care anymore or he resolved the problem considering this thread has had no activity for nearly a year and was originally created in 2008.

Back