• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Strikes Again: Month and a Half MINIMUM laptop repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey rainless, any updates on the status of your laptop? I am curious if there has been any progress on you getting it back. :)

BTW, I am presently looking around myself for a new laptop. I want to get my replacement work laptop before Winblows 8 is forced down our throats by the OEMs in October.

BTW, I am presently looking around myself for a new laptop. I want to get my replacement work laptop before Winblows 8 is forced down our throats by the OEMs in October.

What requirements are there?

Hey rainless, any updates on the status of your laptop? I am curious if there has been any progress on you getting it back. :)

I am typing this very message on my Brand New, replacement laptop.

Absolutely no word on what happened to my old laptop. I'm assuming that they either lost it, or parted it out, or sold it, or they're using it around the office. Suffice to say I'll never see it again.

The new laptop actually functions better in every way, as far as I can tell, from the old laptop. The keyboard is a bit more responsive (I have the K53S and on the old one the space bar wouldn't work 1/4 of the time), and they sent a power cable that curves 90 degrees this time... which if I had that on the original laptop I never would've had a problem.

It should be noted that the laptop that I sent them had a 640GB hard drive and they sent me back one with a 500GB hard drive. Also I had added 4GB to my laptop but they sent me the new one without that extra 4GB and who knows what they did to my ram.

Luckily I was smart enough to hold onto my old hard drive and I sent them the old computer without one. So I had to pay 20 bucks for new ram, but I got a brand new hard drive and a new windows license in the bargain.

All that is well and good... but I sent in my laptop on MAY 14TH. THE FOURTEENTH OF MAY 2012. It is now the 3rd of August.

I will never, ever, EVER buy anything with an Asus label again. (At the very least not in Europe.) Flat out the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere in the world.

ALL of my projects delayed four months.

Irreplaceable time, and momentum, and opportunities lost. As in... I'm a writer... no writing got done. I'm also a photographer... all photography projects on hold. If I hadn't been so busy in my day job I would've gone completely insane.

I would not even recommend that anybody take a RISK on buying an Asus laptop. Because your RMA might go just fine. They might have it back to you in 24 hours. Or you might never see your hardware ever again. It was really a coin toss up until 30 minutes ago as to whether I would ever see any computer or any of my money ever again. Maybe I would... maybe I wouldn't.

I hope they burn in hell for what they did to me.

The onboard sound on my asus motherboard just died. Im really worried about rma'ing it, I need my system for uni work, and I have a feeling i may be waiting months to get it back =/

The onboard sound on my asus motherboard just died. Im really worried about rma'ing it, I need my system for uni work, and I have a feeling i may be waiting months to get it back =/

Onboard sound? Forget it. You'll never see the damned thing again. Just buy a sound card and disable onboard in the bios.

At BEST it'll take two months and then they'll say it's YOUR fault and charge you 100 bucks to NOT fix it.

See if they will cross ship is my suggestion. They may not fix and just replace. Make the call first before you spend money.

Remember, for every one of these, there are 90 others that had a positive experience. Its the frustrated minority that always post, not the happy majority.

That sucks man, I've only ever owned Dell laptops. First an XPS M1730, now a Vostro 3450 (I have a hook-up, otherwise I couldn't get the 3450). Never had any issues with either, because they were well built.

I avoided Asus like the plague because of the stuff I've heard about them.

Well if you needed another reason...

You'd better buy a cheapo sound card JimmyBoy!

See if they will cross ship is my suggestion. They may not fix and just replace. Make the call first before you spend money.

Remember, for every one of these, there are 90 others that had a positive experience. Its the frustrated minority that always post, not the happy majority.

Joe, it seems that Asus is really getting worse and worse...

My only complaint with them for the two times I had to use the RMA process was that the 'status' website wasnt accurate (card/board had shipped back to me but still showed 'finished' and not 'shipped'). Otherwise, the turnaround time was appropriate and it was resolved easily at first contact. Again, its the frustrated minority that speak the loudest. And because they are about the only ones that speak, people tend to think the majority of issues go bad when that is really the antithesis of reality.

Could they be getting worse? Sure they can. Would I take my chances. Yes...and have/do.

Well if you needed another reason...
What, a guy avoiding them because of what they HEARD? Come on team rainless... you know better than to post garbage like that and expect it to stick...:-/

^your theory is right, but it's important to compare with other main manufacturers: how many complaints for Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, Acer...?

Would you completely avoid an entire organization's line of products (which are solid in the vast majority of cases) for a couple % difference in customer satisfaction? I mean if its a product I want, I will take my chances that 90 out of 100 are satisfied vs 95 out of 100 for an alternative product.

Think about how often stuff actually fails within the warranty period and the chances of you even having to RMA something... take that and add the chance that you will get crap service and that is my POV on it.

I dont know, its all in the numbers. If they were much lower than that, there would be tons MORE people complaining about the issues they had. :)

^Again, I agree with you 100%: not much chance that we'll deal with RMA process, as product are EXTREMELY reliable.

But, what about the ethic?

When choosing between a manufacture that treat me like s..t, and one that take cares of me, within a similar range of product, I know where to go!

EDIT: that's a couple of replies I got from an Asrock tech rep the last few days
"Hello Emmanuel,

Thanks fore the feedback, I will also let my colleagues know.
The people on the forums should contact support of their manufacturer, then we can solve the issue by sending a replacement BIOS chip.

Kind regards/ mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Peter
ASRock Support"

"Okay,

I will wait for the outcome of the new BIOS chip, and if the problem still persists I can also contact my colleagues in Taiwan to run some checks.
I wonder if another CPU would give the same issue, so if it is the combination of the board and the chipset.
So please keep me informed, and I will do my best to help you

Kind regards/ mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Peter
ASRock Support"

You'd better buy a cheapo sound card JimmyBoy!

I picked up a cheap sound blaster audoligy se to do me untill I can get contacted with asus. its actually better than the onboard anyway.

What, a guy avoiding them because of what they HEARD? Come on team rainless... you know better than to post garbage like that and expect it to stick...:-/

I, personally am guilty of this. I avoid ocz, mainly because a lot of people have told me that their products tend to fail horribly. But almost every other motherboard ive had (m2n-e, p5ql-pro, p5k) were asus boards, and lasted me a long time with no flaws, and i either sold them (m2n-e, p5k) or accidently put a bit too much voltage through the northbridge (p5ql-pro). So going by that, the only bad thing ive heard about asus is there rma, but having never had to rma an asus product before, Im a bit worried about it, but im hoping it turns out okay :eek:

Well, when treated poorly, of course it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. However in sitting back and thinking about it, the CSR (customer service rep) is who treated me poorly. You can be assured that its not Asus's SOP to treat customers like crap. Its the individual. What I do in that case, is escalate the issue to their supervisor and let them handle the CSR as they see fit. I know that singular bad experience will more likely than not, not happen again.

I do understand why people feel so passionate about being treated fairly and such, and understand with them not using a company for it... I just dont agree. Im a numbers guy and would be willing to bet that it wouldnt happen again. Sometimes it does. I understand people bailing on a company after repeated bad issues. Im just not the type of person that bails after one bad experience...nor do I scream in forums (not saying rainless is doing that) outside of a rant thread maybe, to not go to company A or.....w/e. I understand why they do it, but the level of conviction for some to avoid company A/B/C i see from some people is appalling to me at times over a single bad experience, or even two.

Oh well. :)

EDIT: Everyone draws the line in a different spot in the sand.

Last edited:
^Again, I agree (shall we get married?;)). And I am a numbers guy as well, but I've been treated poorly by maybe 6/7 reps out of 6/7 reps with Asus: it all adds up, doesn't it?

Thats plain bad luck.. and would sour me for sure. Your failure rate on the hardware and treatment by the company, I would imagine, is drastically out of the norm. Perhaps at that point would I avoid them...:p

Yep... Unfortunately...

And you know what? I used to be (for years!) manager in IT call-centres (tech support and sales), and I really can't understand how people can be so unhelpful!

Back