• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Strikes Again: Month and a Half MINIMUM laptop repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My only complaint with them for the two times I had to use the RMA process was that the 'status' website wasnt accurate (card/board had shipped back to me but still showed 'finished' and not 'shipped'). Otherwise, the turnaround time was appropriate and it was resolved easily at first contact. Again, its the frustrated minority that speak the loudest. And because they are about the only ones that speak, people tend to think the majority of issues go bad when that is really the antithesis of reality.

Could they be getting worse? Sure they can. Would I take my chances. Yes...and have/do.

What, a guy avoiding them because of what they HEARD? Come on team rainless... you know better than to post garbage like that and expect it to stick...:-/

GARBAGE? I must take exception...

If you wanted a 2003 Mustang and a guy that's driven mustangs his whole life and OWNS a 2003 mustang tells you that the 2003s suck... that's not garbage. You'd be an idiot not to listen to him.

I've been using Asus products for about as long as they've been around. Hell... I first came here to figure out how to overclock the Asomething or other Deluxe for my ancient Sempron. I've got an Asus motherboard in my desktop now that barely functions and I just... right now... not two or three years ago... went through a whole 4 month ordeal with my laptop.

So yeah... you kinda SHOULD listen to what you hear.

Sometimes the majority is loud and the blind loyalists are... well blind.

As far as your analogy on the cars, that I agree with since you mentioned the guy was a SME (subject matter expert). HOWEVER, in the context of this thread and what the person posted, ATM just heard something. No clue what he heard, who he heard it from (doesnt matter if it was here or heard it from an 'expert' you took a leap of faith that what he heard was fact without even remotely knowing what he heard!), yet its posted as the gospel like people are supposed to accept it at face value.

Below is that same car analogy in the same context ATM used:
If you wanted a 2003 Mustang and a guy tells you he heard that the 2003s suck, you'd be an idiot to listen to him (or at least not ask what the experience is of the person he heard it from before listening and spreading that information yourself to others).

Big difference ehh?

Anyhoo, sorry about this. What happened sucks, and it shouldnt take that long. I hope you get it back soon. Do you have an update?

Last edited:
As far as your analogy on the cars, that I agree with since you mentioned the guy was a SME (subject matter expert). HOWEVER, in the context of this thread and what the person posted, ATM just heard something. No clue what he heard, who he heard it from (doesnt matter if it was here or heard it from an 'expert' you took a leap of faith that what he heard was fact without even remotely knowing what he heard!), yet its posted as the gospel like people are supposed to accept it at face value.

Below is that same car analogy in the same context ATM used:

Big difference ehh?

Anyhoo, sorry about this. What happened sucks, and it shouldnt take that long. I hope you get it back soon. Do you have an update?

Ah... You missed my post. :) (Probably too busy reading the "garbage" one... :D )

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7263207&postcount=25

They lost, sold, or parted out my laptop... with the extra 4 gigs of ram I had in it. So they said they were sending me a new one... and proceded to tell me that the new one would take 4 weeks to arrive... from Holland. Which is about a three hour drive or a two day walk or a 5 day crawl on the hands and knees away from here. I got it minus the 4 gigs of ram and with a hard drive 140 gigs smaller than the one that initially came with my laptop... (But thank goodness I never sent them that.)

As far as the guy's case with the laptop...

People don't buy laptops every year. Last laptop I got was a Gateway that was supposed to be a temporary solution 7 years ago. Now Lenovo, who I'd never heard of, owns thinkpad, Packard Bell still exists now that I've moved back to Europe, and about 80% of the stores here in Spain are actually sponsored by Asus and sell Asus products exclusively.

I knew NOTHING about their laptops. And reviews for this model were few and far between because it was brand new when I bought it. But if I'd read the complaints about their customer service.. it would've given me pause.

Half the time... like you... (or whoever it was that posted it) I would check the status of my repair and the information would either be erroneous, or I wouldn't ne able to load it at all. THAT would've given me pause. If I could've called the Spanish repair department and noticed they didn't have an option for English and had a bad habit of hanging up in your face... THAT would've given me pause.

You can't badmouth consumer reviews. Look at Amazon... They do a fair job of balancing good reviews and bad reviews of the product (They start by showing you the best review and the worst review side by side.) And there are PLENTY of people writing five star reviews. And I don't think you have to be an "expert" to say whether the product you use everyday is good to you.

And if you see 30 or 40 reviews across the whole lineup otopf laptops that say "Laptop Good/CSR Bad"... like I said... it would be foolish not to take that into consideration.

Last edited:
I own a Dell laptop and the dell services really made me panic. They were charging money for all kind of customer support services even though my laptop was in warranty
:(

Even they asked charges for service engineer visit too.

Hope I would never do this to my customer.

The moral of the story.......

This is why I would never buy anything but a SONY laptop.
They simply do not break and last forever. (10 years running with my current one)

If by some (never before happened) misfortune they ever did need a repair, you simply just take it by your nearby neighborhood electronics authorized repair shop.

The moral of the story.......

This is why I would never buy anything but a lenovo laptop.
They simply do not break and last forever. (10 years running with my current one)

If by some (never before happened) misfortune they ever did need a repair, you simply just take it by your nearby neighborhood electronics authorized repair shop.

FTFY

A friend had a SONY VAIO laptop a while back and it didn't even last a couple of years, luckily for him the retailer was a great guy and replaced it. I guess it's all about luck with laptops, but I haven't heard a single problem from someone with a lenovo, whether it's a ThinkPad, an IdeaPad, or anything else.

Back