• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Xonar Essence STX and additional power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnny5

Okay I'm going to edit my initial question and elaborate on it to see if perhaps it helps find an answer. I apologize if it is a stupid concern or has been answered elsewhere but I have a limited amount of knowledge on the subject of electronics and just want to be sure I'm not overloading anything.

I have an older PSU that came with three 4 pin molex cables each with 3 connectors. The only place I can find another 4 pin molex cable for my PSU is on Amazon for around 35 dollars and I'm hoping to avoid purchasing it. What I'm trying to figure out is, for example I have 9 Yate Loon 120mm fans in a push/pull config on two radiators and then in spots near the motherboard that I can daisychain together and plan to power off one of those 4-pin molex connectors attached to the cable that will lead to the PSU. Those fans will draw .3 amps off the 12 volt so it should be okay I believe connecting them to a single 4-pin molex (if I am wrong please let me know). I have similar scenarios with dual mcp355 pumps and lighting.

So my concern is at the end of one of these cables is my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card shown here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010 that requires the additional power from a 4-pin molex and I'm trying to figure out how to distribute my components across these 3 cables as evenly as possible and avoid overloading one of them. I cannot find if the Asus card draws from the +12V, +5V or +3.3V or a combination and how much it draws.

So I hope to find out if anyone knows this information or if this is even a concern and I am greatly misunderstanding something.

Anyway I hope this helps clarify what I'm asking and any insight would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

(I also wasn't sure if this is the best subforum to ask but I though the people who understand PSUs might be able to offer more insight than the Display and Sound Technology subforum)

Last edited:
The sound card can't be eating all that much. Molex plugs are rated at 10 amps, generally the wire is rated a bit lower, but it's high enough that you can run all nine fans on one cable/connector without an issue. I have a few fans that eat 3 to 4.5 amps that run off single Molex plugs without issue. Your fan setup eats less than 3 amps in total, it'll be fine.

Thanks so much for the reply. The math on the other components had begun to make me reasonable confidant it wasn't going to be a concern but I just really wanted to check with somebody who understands things better to be sure rather than come back with a different post titled "Why did my molex connector melt?" But again, thanks, I've read some of your articles and its really great all the information your kind enough to share around here.

lol yeah, avoiding the melting is a good idea.
Since you can spread them out I probably would, just to make wiring a bit easier, but that is well under the maximum allowed.

If the connector is dirty or corroded or something that's an issue of course.
I'm glad you enjoy my articles :D

Back