• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z390M-Pro Gaming Wi-fi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
It's been a few years since I was able to take that beat-up Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK (which ultimately only cost me 20 bucks after I threatened to get the guy banned from eBay), solder some brand new capacitors on it, and get it up and running. It's still going strong... but not without its problems. (Only two of the RAM slots work, the USB ports are not reliable AT ALL, and very rarely it'll just crash.)

Was thinking of upgrading to something a little more modern and reliable and wanted to know what you guys thought of this one.

I think... at some point... I swore never to get an Asus board again. (I think the only boards to ever die on me were all Asus.) But that's mainly what they have here in Germany and I spotted a nice deal on this one and wanted to know what you guys thought. With the wifi, and the multiple m.2 connectors it really ticks off a lot of boxes for me.

Says it supports both 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs... Haven't been able to find much on it in the way of reviews.

So what do YOU think?

I figure... just like the last couple of builds... it might take me a year or more just to complete the build. (Given my current financial state... the whole thing seems like a PIPE DREAM... but I've outlived financial trouble many, many times before). I mean, for all I know, you guys are all using 11th and 12th generation CPUs. That Gigabyte motherboard was already outdated when I got it. They were just at the tail end of the 6th generation CPUs and the 7th generation hadn't come out yet.

So, since i know it's going to take me a long time to get the CPU, and the RAM (I would probably start with the motherboard and a new power supply which I could use right now since I'm only rocking a 450watt Corsair for the past three years) I'd like to know if it's even worth the investment... or I just hold onto my fourth generation stuff until 2021 or something because they might be on the 11th gen going on the 12th right now. :)

I would mainly be concerned by the time you find out it was trouble free, it would be out of warranty...Also how good of a deal is it that it wouldn't be better to wait and get all the parts together ? Prices should only come down in the future for that same part.:shrug:

I would mainly be concerned by the time you find out it was trouble free, it would be out of warranty...Also how good of a deal is it that it wouldn't be better to wait and get all the parts together ? Prices should only come down in the future for that same part.:shrug:

Well I'm living in Germany and sometimes these parts can be kind of hard to come by. I could, easily, never see this model again.

the board packs some features, i didnt go with it cause of things i dont need. i run a standalone dac that feeds a dedicated headphone amp so the "higher end" on board chip i didn't need. i didn't need built in wifi since im running power-line adapters to the on-board Gigbit adapter. what i focused on was board layout and PWM section, that led me to a few boards. however since i have used asrock and loved it, it is now my go to brand after Abit bit the dust. while i did have a stint with Asus R-II gene (no problems with it, even with a oc'd x5660@4ghz), then to my now retired 4790k/Z97M OC Formula setup(like a timex!). im now on a Asrock X390m pro4 board, has what i really need. it didnt hurt the price i paid is $99 for it on BF, then snagged some Patriot DDR4-4400 2x8gb as well.

it is really a tough call man, i know what your talking about in a way. i was going to drop my 4790k into a corsair carbide case with a seasonic 620 modular psu but never did get around to it. i had those for 2 yrs give or take, got a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 a bit before those for the cpu as well. since i didnt swap those over to the setup they are now being use on the 9600k setup, so yea a long build in a way. LOL

the board packs some features, i didnt go with it cause of things i dont need. i run a standalone dac that feeds a dedicated headphone amp so the "higher end" on board chip i didn't need. i didn't need built in wifi since im running power-line adapters to the on-board Gigbit adapter. what i focused on was board layout and PWM section, that led me to a few boards. however since i have used asrock and loved it, it is now my go to brand after Abit bit the dust. while i did have a stint with Asus R-II gene (no problems with it, even with a oc'd x5660@4ghz), then to my now retired 4790k/Z97M OC Formula setup(like a timex!). im now on a Asrock X390m pro4 board, has what i really need. it didnt hurt the price i paid is $99 for it on BF, then snagged some Patriot DDR4-4400 2x8gb as well.

it is really a tough call man, i know what your talking about in a way. i was going to drop my 4790k into a corsair carbide case with a seasonic 620 modular psu but never did get around to it. i had those for 2 yrs give or take, got a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 a bit before those for the cpu as well. since i didnt swap those over to the setup they are now being use on the 9600k setup, so yea a long build in a way. LOL

99 bucks would be a better deal than what I saw this board for! But... alas... I can no longer afford either. Bought my mom a ticket to Germany for Christmas... bought my girlfriend a microscope... and I paid for my insurance. I am now, officially, TAPPED-OUT for the time being. Sigh...

Back