• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z87-A w/ i5-4670K help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aerpelding

Registered
all the parts i have are below. I booted up the pc for the first time last week and it started up smooth and perfect.
I haven't left this PC on all the time like my last one, so i've been turning it off every night. well, day 2 and i try to turn the pc on when i get home from work, and nothing. it doesn't beep like it did the first go around. All i get is a RED LED CPU light. turn the pc off and back on, same thing. Lastly i hold down the power button to shut it off then wait about a second and turn it back on. It boots up and i get a bios error message stating "cpu overclock failed".

well, the only problem is i hadn't even tried to over clock it yet. But, i went into the bios like it said to. I didn't change anything, exit the bios then it boots up normal.
now, every time i shut the pc down it does this and i have to repeat the above to get it to boot up.

i chatted with asus and they said to swap out the mb, so i called newegg and had them ship me a new one.
Well, i just put it all back together and alas, i boot it up again for the first time and i get the infamous RED CPU LED. Do the same proceedure of holding down the power button till it shuts off, then fire it back up and i get the "cpu overclocking failed" bios message, so again i press f1 to go into setup only to see that nothing is wrong and exit the bios without saving and it boots right up....

what is going on?! do i have another bad asus mb? Could it be the core i5 giving me problems?
i should also add, that when i "restart" the pc and not shut it down... i don't have any boot issues. This is only when i shut it down.

please help! i'm frustrated and need to find out what the cause is so i can replace it and get this fixed asap.

the turbo power switch is off. The board is at it's normal default settings.
The new board i got as a replacement from newegg, seems to be older and it doesn't "beep" when i turn it on like the old one. The old one would beep when i restart it, or when it would boot successfully.
The bios on both boards is 1504, looks like 1604 is out. i guess i can try to update it first. however after doing some research it doesnt look like the bios version is the issue.

now it won't even turn on after i swapped the old mother board back into it. as soon as i hit the power button the fans start to spin but it immediately shuts off

Take everything out of the case and assemble the parts on a static resistant, non-conductive surface. Assemble only the most basic essentials to get a PC up and running. If you can get the basic parts to boot outside the case, add another part to your build, one at a time, booting after each addition.

i have sat everything outside of the case, only the cpu, motherboard, and a single memory stick. it will not boot, it will not even post now.
I believe it is a bad PSU. i've got a buddy with a tester. That's the only thing that's left. i doubt two Asus Motherboards are bad, and there is nothing else to cause it not to post. there is no other reason why it would not even post now.

i have sat everything outside of the case, only the cpu, motherboard, and a single memory stick. it will not boot, it will not even post now.
I believe it is a bad PSU. i've got a buddy with a tester. That's the only thing that's left. i doubt two Asus Motherboards are bad, and there is nothing else to cause it not to post. there is no other reason why it would not even post now.

Well, you may need to also include an HDD (or SSD) attached as part of the POST inquiry; unless of course you didn't even get the MB LEDs to blink. Did you short the PSU and test whether it would spin up without anything attached to it?

just tested the PSU and it's bad. i got an RMA to ship the PSU back for a new one, as well as a new cpu just in case. hopefully this bad psu didn't take out my motherboard or i'll need to replace it again as well.
as of now, it looks like the issue is soon to be solved... once i get new parts in.

Back