• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Z87-K and RAM - XMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zaarin_2003

Hi,

I have a major issue with my PC. Its not strictly why I'm here, but I think my RAM is broken or damaged and am seeking to replace it. If you're interested and feel you may be able to help, please see:
http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/69706-error-0x8007025d-mess-bad-ram.html

Anyway, I am looking to purchase some new RAM and have settled on G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133Mhz.

Firstly, is this RAM ok for my motherboard? I think so, but its worth me checking with you guys. I have an ASUS Z87-K.

Also, I understand that I will need to enable XMP in the BIOS.

I recently did this actually and am convinced it is what broke my computer - I have Corsair RAM clocked at 1800mhz, but noticed it was running at 1333, so enabled XMP. I very quickly experienced BSOD and so turned it off again. Things just got worse from there and now I'm unable to even install a clear version of Windows 10! Error 0x8007025D. So maybe it wasn't turning on XMP which affected my computer this way, but researching things for my new RAM... well, this page as also scared me: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-speed-running-advertised-try-turning-xmp-watch/

I'd really appreciate some advice from someone who knows my motherboard and can advise on what I need to do to safely use my new RAM, when it arrives.

Many thanks
Matt

Last edited:
If you want to make 100% sure, see if the ram is on the motherboard is on the QVL list.

As far as your apprehension to use xmp... my suggestion is to update your motherboard bios to the latest version, get ram from the QVL list (though 99% works if not on the list), install Windows BONE STOCK, then try enabling xmp.

Edit: I read your second link...and all I can say is that author is misinformed and making something out of nothing.

Last edited:
If you want to make 100% sure, see if the ram is on the motherboard is on the QVL list.

As far as your apprehension to use xmp... my suggestion is to update your motherboard bios to the latest version, get ram from the QVL list (though 99% works if not on the list), install Windows BONE STOCK, then try enabling xmp.

Edit: I read your second link...and all I can say is that author is misinformed and making something out of nothing.

Thanks for the tips mate. I updated the BIOS a couple of weeks ago, so that should be fine.

I checked the Asus QVL for the Z87 mortherboards (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-K/Z87_4DIMM_report.pdf) - it lists G.SKILL F3-2133C11Q-32GZL(XMP) 8GB Timings - 11-11-11-31 as one of its recommended memory boards. What I have bought is very similar.... the F3-2133C11D-16GXL. Do you think that would be ok? the GSkill website does have a memory configurator, in which you put your motherboard manufacturer, chipset and model and it provides you with a list of compatible memory boards, I presume. Having done this, the one I've purchased is listed. What do you think? I don't know how often ASUS updates its QVL. I suspect not often, its a pdf. GSkill seems confident it will be compatible...

You might want to make sure your RAM is actually bad before you go blowing money on new RAM. Update to the latest bios, set the bios to defaults for everything. Then boot into Memtest86 on a USB stick and let it run. If your RAM passes, you should try some memory stress tests in Windows. If it passes, you should try re-enabling XMP in your bios ( with everything else bone stock in the bios) with your newer bios version and seeing if the problem repeats.

If things ever get so flaky that you can't even get into your bios, let a lone windows, remember that you can pull your motherboard battery, wait a while, then put it back, and your bios will reset.

I was quite hasty I'm afraid and bought new RAM from Amazon earlier - but I can always send it back if I don't need it. I think I will though.... I ran Memtest86 as you advised and had about 15k errors within the first pass! I know I should take the RAM out and run Memtest on each module separately and then swap slots... so it could be the motherboard throwing up these errors. I figure I'll find out for sure when I put the new RAM in. If I run memtest on that before doing anything I guess I'll know.

15000 errors is not a good sign

Indeed. ;-)

What could cause something like that?

Around 4 weeks ago I started getting BSODs. Not all the time or anything, but mostly one or two every other day usually within the first minute or so of booting into Windows and usually when doing something mundane, like web browsing in Edge. I then started noticing other oddities, such as sfc /scannow failing, being unable to update or even uninstall Office without errors. A repair install with an in place upgrade of Windows 10 didn't help either.

But I don't recall any major hardware failures, power surges etc. Or would I just not notice something like that?

ASUS - XMP

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question - and I have asked a related question in another thread, to be perfectly transparent.

In that thread I was reassured that everything would be fine - but recent experience with my RAM going nuts (BSOD.... thousands of errors in Memtest86+ and.... I think.... the cause of multiple OS errors) has led to me feeling paranoid.

Basically, I'm buying new RAM and would like some guidance with my BIOS settings (I have the latest version installed).

Is there anyone here who has experience of the Asus Z87-K motherboard who could please explain to me what the XMP function does? I know I need to enable it to ensure my RAM is running as fast as it is capable of... but are there any risks involved? Is it overclocking the RAM or simply setting it to run at the speed it is designed to? Also, does enabling XMP enable any other overclocking functions? I don't want to set the CPU to permanent speed boost mode for example as a by product!

I ask because I am reasonably sure that my RAM issues which have led me to buy new RAM started around the time I enabled XMP on my now dead RAM. I had realised it was running at 1333Mhz, but was capable of 1600 and turned it on only to quickly be met with a blue screen. It could have been a coincidence. Perhaps the RAM was already faulty and stressing it to what it should have been capable of set it in its death throws?

Thanks everyone
Matt

Merged with your other thread on the same subject. Please don't create duplicate threads. :)

XMP is not board specific. It just enables the xmp profiles programmed into the sticks. It does not kill sticks. :)

Please post screenshots of cpuz? First tab, memory tab, and spd tab... that would help!
:)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I wish I could post screen shots of CPUz etc (I have no idea what Vccio Vccsa or HWiNFO64 is!) - but I have no OS anymore! This problem essentially killed my computer. I am currently awaiting new RAM - due on Friday - and will then see if that improves the issue.

Thank you though - I don't feel so bad now about setting XMP on. The RAM I purchased is clocked at 2400Mhz, so I'll stick it in and stick XMP on. Nothing wrong with doing that.... right? ;-)

Matt

There is nothing wrong with using the 2400 XMP speed memory in your motherboard.

Last edited:
Back