• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Z87I-Deluxe Mini-ITX Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Small form factor (SFF) builds have been popping up more and more frequently over the past few hardware generations, and ASUS has definitely taken note of that. ASUS has a couple ITX boards in their Z87 lineup that could fit the bill for your next SFF build. We'll be taking a look at the Z87I-Deluxe to find out how well it fits in the SFF scene and if it can compete with larger form factor boards.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice little feature-packed motherboard! I saw an ad for this mobo on a website this morning and thought it would be nice if we had a review of it. Excellent timing! :)

Nice little feature-packed motherboard! I saw an ad for this mobo on a website this morning and thought it would be nice if we had a review of it. Excellent timing! :)

The board is pretty versatile, which I like a lot.

So this board is out and available at retail now?

Yeah, it's been out for a little while now. NewEgg has it for $190 currently.

Good review, feature packed. The bottom two SATA ports look like they may be hard to reach if you have a video card with a backplate - could that be an issue?

OOOH, finally a compelling reason to upgrade my mITX rig. Will be replacing my asrock z77e-itx with this for my planned Caselabs S3 Black & Yellow build.

as nice as these itx boards are getting looks like im doing ITX when i do a rebuild... now for a 2500k to not be fast enough.... lol

Man that is awesome, would make a great HTPC and Steam Big Picture center and among others. This might be something I will consider with the Christmas bonus this year (if I get one).

The VRM reminds me of back in the Pentium server days, had a dual Pentium Pro system with those large VRM modules per CPU.

Last edited:
Good review, feature packed. The bottom two SATA ports look like they may be hard to reach if you have a video card with a backplate - could that be an issue?

No issues there. Here's a picture with my GTX780 + Backplate installed in the board...

DSCN7073.JPG

OOOH, finally a compelling reason to upgrade my mITX rig. Will be replacing my asrock z77e-itx with this for my planned Caselabs S3 Black & Yellow build.

Should go well in your build :thup:

as nice as these itx boards are getting looks like im doing ITX when i do a rebuild... now for a 2500k to not be fast enough.... lol

Unfortunately, it might be a while before a 2500K isn't fast enough.

The VRM reminds me of back in the Pentium server days, had a dual Pentium Pro system with those large VRM modules per CPU.

That was before my time :rofl:

Last edited:
Overclocking Questions on H87I mini itx

I was not able to overclock anything like you achieved.
However I am an overclocking beginner.
Perhaps I started in the wrong place.
Could you kindly give us your starting point and first several steps you took.
That should get us going.
thanks,
Roe5685

Not sure if the H87I will be able to hang with the Z87I since it has a weak VRM section.

Overclocking the 2000/3000/4000 K series Intel CPUs isn't too difficult. It pretty much boils down to just increasing the Vcore and CPU multiplier for a decent OC, then some additional work may net a couple hundred more MHz at most.

For the 4.6GHz OC on this board, all that had to be done was increase the Vcore to 1.25v and CPU multiplier to 46. My cache frequency isn't stable at more than 4.4MHz, so I increased its multiplier to 44. So, just increase the Vcore to what you feel comfortable with, ~1.2-1.25 on good air cooling, then start increasing your CPU multiplier one bump at a time and do a short stress test in between (while monitoring temps). Once you can't go further or reach a temp limit, try a long stress test. If it fails, bump the CPU multiplier down and try again. Keep doing that until it passes. Keep the cache frequency between (CPU Freq - 300MHz) and CPU Freq.

Of course, every CPU is different so YMMV.

No issues there. Here's a picture with my GTX780 + Backplate installed in the board...

View attachment 133343
Wow that's a tight squeeze, I remember one mobo had SATA plugs directly next to the PCI-E and it was a living hell trying to get SATA wires to cooporate with the GPU.
That was before my time :rofl:

It was a very hot running system, had 6x SCSI array with it and it idled at ~120C (Intel made CPU's back then that could handle volcano temperatures), it was practically my apartment heating unit and I could sit on it to warm my buns (yes even cases were strong enough to sit on).

Back